Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Buying A Yurt In FL/the South

Old 07-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: buying a yurt in FL/the South

I don't know about Florida, but there is a guy named Bob... I think he is in North Georgia, but possibly in SC who has a couple of yurts and writes a blog about it. Perhaps he will be more useful for Pixi.

If I remember correctly it is JuicyMaters | Building and living in a yurt, homesteading, gardening, and more... I should look it up to see if he is still around, but I read his blog as recently as last year. He seems to be a nice guy, and might have some helpful insight.

Tell him Rod sent you. (it won't really make any difference ) But whatever you do, don't get him started talking about hogs.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.

PS. I am teasing about the hogs. It is interesting.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

LOL!! I contacted Bob last week & he DID talk about his hogs. You've got the site, etc. correct, but he's in northern GA, just about 90 miles from Chattanooga. He told me he had to fight the county for the permits he finally got (I don't think he's one to mess w/).

As with most people, I have a limit as to what I can spend. I can't even make the investment if I can't get the permits. Sad that the South has to be so behind on things. I'm an east coast gal & can't go the PNW to live. I've been to Maine & it's beautiful, but you get 4 months (at best) of semi-warmth... I just can't do that.
PixiVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

'....fight the county for permits...' Wouldn't it be nice if you walked in the door and got "Hi. Thanks for paying our salary and retirement. How may we help you?" lol

As an aside, it's just really amazing how humanity made it to the last hundred years without bureaucrats telling us what is good for us all, what we need to do, and how we need to think. huh? lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Well, there seem to be building department people that with the IBC & this amendment:

SECTION 5.04 Permanent Living Quarters. Nothing within this Ordinance shall be construed to allow a camping trailer, licensed vehicle or trailer, tent, yurt, recreational vehicle (including park models), or any other vehicle, accessory structure, or item as a permanent dwelling. No parcel can be used for temporary living quarters for a period of more than 6 months in a 12 month period, unless permitted for use as specified under a conditional use permit for a campground or recreational vehicle park.

Leap to a conclusion like this:

"Dear (Landowner),

"Yurts are considered temporary structures in ----- County and can only be erected for 6 months out of any 12 month period. Futhermore, yurts cannot, at any time, be used as a residence.

"If you are renting the yurt you must immediately stop. If you are using it for temporary guests that are friends or family or for your own personal use, you have until December 1, 2016 to remove the yurt.

"If you wish to secure a permit to have a campground, please contact me at the number above."

Signed by an 'Associate Planner'.

Note that the amendment calls out yurts specifically, that a yurt cannot be used as a permanent dwelling, and that any particular parcel can be used for temporary living quarters for only 6 months out of 12. Somehow that means yurts cannot be used as temporary living quarters (ever) and can only be erected for 6 months at a time.

The IBC (2015 in text searchable or 2012) does not use the word 'residence' but rather 'dwelling unit', 'building', or 'structure'. Chapter 2 is for most of the general definitions, with other specific chapters/sections having their relevant definition sections. The IBC has Appendix A, "Employee Qualifications" in which is mentioned 'Building Official', 'Chief Inspector', 'Inspector and Plans examiner'.

In other words the fellow that wrote that kind letter is probably low on the pecking order, doesn't know how to properly use the keywords & definitions in the code, writes horribly for an official, and likely could easily be challenged. But people don't like being challenged, especially when they think they are an official.

Since he did not request any response (only actions in some limited cases) I needn't respond. But I suspect he'll intrude again at some point--where I'll write a letter (for the landlord) politely asking for clarification on some key points with code references or Commission Minutes. We'll find out then if he can substantiate his claims--if not, speaking with a higher up or a lawsuit may be in order.

I know this doesn't exactly fit your situation in the South, but it may be enlightening to know just how far from the actual Code some building department people can get. Know the Code, know the Rules, know when somebody is making $#!+ up. And welcome to the land of bureaucracy & litigation.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rainier yurts