Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Insulation- Fleece

Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Insulation- Fleece

Hello everyone! I am currently in the process of building a yurt and was able to get a great deal on some polartec fleece bolts (aprx. $1/yd). We are planning on using it as a combination of an insulative layer, as well as our interior liner. the only problems that we can foresee is that the color is a dark brown and might make the interior seem cave like. The other problem that I worry about is if will be substantial enough as

insulation

. has anyone ever used fleece as an

insulation

or liner?

My idea is to paint one side of the fleece with some kind of paint (latex maybe?) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any suggestions? This would solve both problems in my mind, but as I have often found, I can be a little too idealistic and thought it would be best to get some second opinions.

EDIT: (Please don't post links to your personal sites)

Last edited by Jafo; 01-28-2014 at 02:46 PM.
alexisdrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt Insulation- Fleece

Alexis, the fleece I'm thinking of is petroleum based. Did you know fleece is EXTREMELY nasty when it catches fire? Drippy burning petroleum products are literally hell on earth. NO WAY would I wrap my wood stove heated yurt with fleece, regardless of how cheap it is.

I read commentary of a bow hunter that was wearing fleece on a hunting trip up in the Yukon. A Coleman gas fueled fire set his fleece on fire. He couldn't get out the door fast enough. He had to be medevact out of there. He will wear burn scars for the rest of his life from fleece that caught fire. Had he been wearing wool it would have been a different outcome.

That true story is something to be seriously considered. If you heat your yurt with a woodstove, unlikely as it imay be, 'IF' your yurt were to catch on fire, and there are people inside, it will likely be VERY VERY BAD news. Just saying. I wouldn't do it.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Manufacturer Representative

Prodex Total 72 Inch Insulation

Here is the link to a much better option for insulation the rolls are 72" tall so you can wrap your yurt wall entirely without any seams. The fleece is as dangerous as Bob says and would never pass a building code (it burns like napalm). Doesn't mean you can't make comforters and other things with that good deal you got on the fleece. One 100' roll is enough to cover the walls and roof of a 20' yurt with a little left to spare (I use leftovers for chicken coops and so on).

-Cheers
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Steve,

I know it has been a while since you have posted on here but I am trying to figure out how to DIY prodex insulation for our used yurt we just bought. We purchased thicker insulation as we are in the cleveland snow belt. I purchased the 10mm prodex so we could stay as warm as possible but the rolls are 4 ft wide. I'm trying to decide how we will attach it, if duct tape is a feasible tape to use and how to properly make the roof panels. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
jenjennyfurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

The tape that sticks WAAAY better than any duck tape is the foil tape that

heating

and cooling companies use on their furnace, cooling and line installs. Once applied it will 'NOT' come off. If you run off line of what you are taping, either cut it off or put a kink in it because it isn't coming back off. I know that is hard to believe but that's been my experience.

I use it a lot for items that I want permanently on.. Buy it by the roll at Lowes, Depot etc. It has a backing that needs to be peeled off as you go during the install. If you pull off a three foot piece, and then pull the backing without having first sticking down the end, you will have a tape ball in short order. lol

Can't think now of exact product name but just tell them roll of foil duct tape and they'll get you to it. Cheap and perfect. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

Prodex makes their own tape which they say is far superior to duct tape.

It isn't cheap, but I would be looking at it if I was using Prodex. I think their website is insulation4less, but that is from memory.

Good luck,

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Manufacturer Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjennyfurg View Post
Hi Steve,

I know it has been a while since you have posted on here but I am trying to figure out how to DIY prodex insulation for our used yurt we just bought. We purchased thicker insulation as we are in the cleveland snow belt. I purchased the 10mm prodex so we could stay as warm as possible but the rolls are 4 ft wide. I'm trying to decide how we will attach it, if duct tape is a feasible tape to use and how to properly make the roof panels. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Cut rectangular strips off the roll of prodex and cut them from corner to corner to make pie shapes.
Use HVAC ape that Bob mentioned to tape them together into a cone shape and then put them between your inner liner and the exterior roof cover.

-Cheers

Steve
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation