Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Experience On The Wet, West Coast

Old 03-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Experience on the Wet, West Coast

New member here, first post.

My wife and I just bought a little piece of land on Salt Spring Island in BC Canada and we're considering buying a 32ft yurt from

Yurtz by Design

to use as a living space and possibly a long term home for us and our baby girl.

Our main concerns with the yurt are potential mold here in the wet climate and rodents.
I know there has been a lot written in the forums about mold and how to address it etc., and some threads on rodent control as well - what we're looking for at this point is to hear the experience of other west/wet coasters either in BC or down the U.S. coast (San Juan islands / Gulf Islands etc.).
Has mold been a big issue? Mice?

Specifically, we are thinking of traveling in the winter, so the yurt would be unoccupied - any tips on how to keep the

moisture

and rodents out over the winter? Is running a dehumidifier the best solution for the

moisture

?

Thanks!

jthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt Experience on the Wet, West Coast

Hmm, a dehumidifier would help, as long as it drains properly.

As for rodents, I usually use this mouse trap in my yurt:

https://amzn.to/38RhGIo

And that keeps em at bay. I used RV (non-toxic) antifreeze in the bucket in the winter.

If your yurt is vented properly, you shouldn't have much trouble with mold. Don't over insulate and if you can use a wood stove, that usually helps.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Yurt Experience on the Wet, West Coast

Peppermint oil is supposed to work well to keep mice out. As far as moisture if you are not in it using items that cause moisture and you winterize it I don't think that would be too much of an issue if you use Tyvek as one of your layers.

Our Mongolian Yurt has not had an issue with moisture but we do not have a kitchen or bathroom. We were using a travel trailer for that but I am completing a Tiny House that is going next to the yurt for those facilities.
Dovness likes this.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yurtz by design