Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Window Positions

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Window positions

Any tips on window shape, placement etc.?
Hello! This is my first post on here but I have been lurking and thanks to knowledge gleaned here (thank you, forum owner, and posters), Google and a leap of faith, I will soon be living a yurtiful life on my land.
I will be ordering my 6m yurt next week (squeee!) and I have to decide about windows: where, how many, what size?
Any tips for the wise? I will be getting bug screens and the roll down canvas over the top, but I want to lay out my yurt incrementally, so I am not going in with a clear idea of where everything will go, I haven’t decided whether I will build an indoor bathroom, or have a shed outside. Maybe I need two doors, or maybe I should just have one….

popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Window positions

I have to say that I just winged it with mine and I haven't had any regrets. I just went with the default recommendation for 5 windows (equally spaced).

I would like to say though, the one regret I did have was that I didn't order a second door.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you, I am leaning strongly towards a second door, I regularly get quite muddy/ covered in hay from my outdoor activities, so I'm thinking I will have a mudroom/bathroom accessed from the inside, but also via a second external door (flying in the face of all architecture I actually like entering my home via the small room!)
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Administrator

Not only that, but you may want to connect another yurt (or other structure) at some time and also it makes your yurt a bit safer because it gives you another exit in case of fire. Right now I keep an extra large hunting knife on my nightstand at my yurt camp in case I wake up at night and there is a fire blocking my one door. I could stand up on the table and use that knife to cut a hole in the roof to escape. The lattice looks pretty in a yurt, but will quickly appear as a cage in a fire.
bss likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Heavens, maybe I should add a trapdoor too!
Jafo likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Jafo,

You can still retrofit an additional door in the future. Just contact us if you ever decide to move forward with the idea.
Jafo likes this.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Administrator

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Manufacturer Representative

If you've got the option with the yurt you are buying I would highly recommend at least two doors for convenience and heaven forbid a fire egress (required by NY state fire code). Also, plan your window views ahead of time, it is likely your yurt manufacturer will place the windows anywhere you'd like.

I've found the mudroom works well to keep the main yurt floor cleaner/drier and allows for a 'no shoes' policy for the main living area cutting down on clean-up chores. I'm putting my woodstove in the 10' 'mudroom' yurt to also keep all the cord wood mess from getting into my main living area. With a 12V circulation fan the stove in the 10' entranceway will heat the whole place.
bss, Marshall Eppley and popcorn like this.
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None