Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default What does the drip edge do?

I'm just finishing up a platform, and considering how I'll attach the

insulation

. I'm doing the

insulation

rather unconventionally, using batts of rock wool
, which require a bit more support than bubble wrap or a blanket. I'm considering having the insulation wrap around the outside of the platform, instead of resting on top of it, but I'm undecided, partly because the drip edge would now be on the inside of the insulation, and I'm not sure if that would cause a problem. In the picture below you can see the two different scenarios. The reason I'm looking into option 2 is it's a very small yurt (100 sq ft)' and 5.5 inches will make a difference.

Another question, is there a reason not to have the yurt canvas wrap underneath, pulled together like a drawstring?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k42cyehvzv...urt%20wall.png

Long story short, I don't know what the drip edge actually does, is it necessary?

Buishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: What does the drip edge do?

You have to think about how the water will roll off the cover. The drip edge keeps the water flowing past the

yurt platform

. If you wrap it underneath, you are going to find

moisture

getting on your platform IMO. When the canvas hangs, the

moisture

drips off. If you wrap it, it will sit on the edges, not to mention become a haven for mice and other critters/insects.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

With a small yurt <12' in diameter, I'd bail on reducing the floor footage in any way. Wire the batts to the khana, or go for a different insulation altogether. Seems to me on such a small yurt felt insulation would be quite affordable?

No way do you want water getting inside the yurt. Jafos point about mice nesting in yurt materials is a good one. I have mice get in my yurt, but they aren't nesting in there. Wish I could offer more advice on the insulation. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the quick reply! Bob, the small space was exactly what prompted my thinking in attaching the insulation to the outside.
Unfortunately, felt in multiple layers (which I would want for minus 40 winters) would probably be in the $1,000's, whereas I got enough high quality r22 roxul insulation for about $550. I've seen some people use disaster relief blankets, but the cost is still quite high, about $1,100 for two layers.
Do you have any ideas or references for how you could wire the insulation to the Khana? I was thinking something similar, but I became concerned that if they should get wet and heavy that they would just tear and fall out. Chicken wire would definitely hold it pretty well, so I guess it's just the bottom that would need support.

I'm currently leaning towards having the insulation on the platform, it just seems less finicky. Besides which, the insulation can compress a couple inches, so I don't really loose that much space.

Thanks for your help!
-Julian
Buishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

I didn't know you already bought the insulation. I'm unfamiliar with rock wool as batts. Since you have it, you'll just have to figure some way to install the stuff so it stays in place tight to the wall, yet won't migrate into the yurt.

One way would be to wrap the outside of the yurt frame with cheap painters tarps so the insulation can't migrate inside. I have that type of tarp covering my yurt wall and it would work great in your case as well. You don't have to get fancy with seams and lots of sewing detail, just get the yurt covered and tie it off with cordage.

Then, install the batts over that. Then install chicken wire over the batts to support it, and tie wire it to the frame.

Then install the cover, so it drapes over the edge of the platform in standard fashion. DO NOT fold the cover material back under the yurt whatever you do. Simply snug the cover to the wall with traditional tension ropes that encircle the yurt from door jamb to door jamb. Leave the cover loose at the bottom so water can drip off, and the cover dry out.

I know it's an experiment but give it a shot. I think the chicken wire is a good idea. It will also keep out all but the smallest critters as well.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Hope your insulating went well. I was tempted to use Roxul mineral wool for insulation on my yurt, but decided not to after getting a single batt (16x48x3.5") and finding that it will crumble when folded/bent/handled not-so-gently. I'd like to move my yurt on occasion without the hassle of replacing the insulation...

How'd your insulation turn out?
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Buishi, do you mind telling us where you're located? You mentioned winter temps of -40 and I'm wondering how comparable your climate is to mine in Northern Ontario. Also, what type of yurt do you have?
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I have worked with that stuff before it' nasty sticky itchy and anything else you can think of.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None