Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

What About A Plumbing Vent?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default What about a plumbing vent?

I am purchasing a 30 foot yurt from Great Lakes Yurt Co. I will be putting it up myself. This will definitely NOT be off-grid. I plan to have have hot and cold running water with toilet and tub plus of course a full kitchen. One thing I've never seen discussed is a plumbing vent aka stink pipe. How does one do that in a yurt?

DV

Dave E Bouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: What about a plumbing vent?

I don't expect there's a way around having to make a thru-waĺl or thru-roof pipe. Unfortunate. But since you're just piping a little bit of stinky air, you can join all the stink pipes into one thru-wall fitting.

Or just not install stink pipes? Things might gurgle more, and flow slower, but it would be okay I reckon.
The point of a stink pipe is to increase flow via pressure equalization, and release gas. I don't think either of those things wohuod be a problem unless you're connected to a city sewer maybe.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm not a plumber. There's a code on drain and waste pipe venting. I believe there must be a vent within 10 lineal feet of the drain. That tells me air has to EASILY enter the drain system or clogs will ensue. There is NO chance I'd install any dwp system out of code 'hoping' it will vent properly. That said, good luck on your build.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Administrator

You will have to check with local code, but you can vent some lines with an air admittance valve, but not all places allow it. I would think that a yurt would be perfect for this considering how it is nowhere near air tight. Things like showers or tubs might be harder to vent this way, I do not know.

Example:

Name:   FH03OCT_ISLANSI_02[1].JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  13.6 KB
YurterRT and chrishallweaver like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

Codes! Aarg! Yeah I never even considered codes. Here where I live it's so difficult to get permission for yurt living, most people just do it illegally.
An example of my plumbing: Kitchen sink is duct taped to a vacuum-cleaner tube, which snakes under the wall canvas and empties onto the meadow outside.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

on my yurt, I power everything with bio gas, Methane, it runs the propane genrator did not use enought gas so I have gas latern all around teh ger on the fence post 50 and I still fill up Methane tanks "Propane tanks" I vent and drain everything to the bio tank "Stomack" and I put my waste food in it and get good fertilizer from it plus gas I used a 100 gallon tank a 50 gallon tank would have been better I think
Drunken hobbit likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
on my yurt, I power everything with bio gas, Methane, it runs the propane genrator did not use enought gas so I have gas latern all around teh ger on the fence post 50 and I still fill up Methane tanks "Propane tanks" I vent and drain everything to the bio tank "Stomack" and I put my waste food in it and get good fertilizer from it plus gas I used a 100 gallon tank a 50 gallon tank would have been better I think

Boy, I would love to see the details on this with pics. Do you think you could write up a summary in our "Powering the Yurt" section of our forum?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

sure but I am trying a new power source using tesla turbine and self inflanting valvue it seems to be working so I will see about putting the plans out there, I just do not want people to copy what i do take it and run with it make it bigger more effeceint just dont get in a slump like we have with the gas powerd car, Gers are very personal and is suppose to reflect the person or people that live in it, there is no wrong way a person who owns a ger can decorate it , cause it is who they are at the time and the ger represent that at the time and it grows as they grow
James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None