Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Waterproofing Mongolian Yurt Lattice?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Waterproofing Mongolian Yurt Lattice?

Hi, y'all,

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I've finally gotten the Mongolian yurt frame and it's gorgeous! I'll find the right place and post photos of it in a separate thread.

While I wait or the cover to arrive from GroovyYurts in Montréal, I'm weatherproofing the frame parts. The wall lattice is larch with camel hide ties at the joints. Since the climate in Southern Oregon is way wetter than Mongolia, I am thinking of giving these pieces a coat of Teak Oil to protect them. I want them to last for a long time.

Does anyone have experience with this type of yurt in this type of climate? Is the waterproofing necessary? Is it advisable?

Thanks for your help!

Blossom

Marshall Eppley likes this.
BlossomMerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Waterproofing Mongolian Yurt Lattice?

I've used several oils thru the years, among them Watco Teak Oil, and the current fav is a readily available Australian Timber Oil.
I've been using it on a wooden sign in Minneapolis for a few years, apply a coat in the spring and in the full.
It holds up well in full southern exposure and harsh winters.
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the response. I've never tried that oil before. It sounds great!

I guess my question is about whether it's necessary to oil the lattice and whether an oil that would protect wood would also protect the camel hide ties.

The last thing I want to do is to oil parts that don't need it and end up destroying the joints in the process. I'll ask Yves at GroovyYurts for his opinion and let y'all know what I find out.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

I did hear back from Yves at

Groovy Yurts

. I just want to say that every experience I have had with him has been incredible. He responds quickly and thoroughly with real, first-hand knowledge. Priceless!

On the topic of oiling the lattice, he doesn't think that it's necessary because I'll be living in it and keeping it warm with a wood stove all Winter. (I will also have a layer of Tyvek house wrap in the mix so the inside should not be getting wet anyhow.) He also advised something that I hadn't considered - coating all of the exterior wooden parts with an exterior varnish.

Of course! I don't know if I can trust the original paint to be waterproof. I'll look for a varnish that offers UV protection so that the beautiful painted door stays vibrant as long as possible.

I just thought I'd post this all here to make it easy for others to find this answer when they need it.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Administrator

Thanks for the update!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Manufacturer Representative

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts

wow, thanks:-) I might be quick at answerting e-mails... but not so much at traveling though the forum... will try to do better! Hope you have received the felts now!
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

There is also a liquid silicone you can paint/brush on surfaces you would like to protect. It can be found at most locations paint/stain is sold.
Nomadical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I live in Colorado and we have a very dry climate. Nonetheless I painted all wood parts of my yurt. I primed with Kilz, and top coated with hunter green Rustoleum pro grade oil based enamel. That is some extreme duty paint. Totally worth the cost and mess of cleanup and dry time. Incredibly tough paint film.

My opinion-(not based on ever having lived in a wet climate)- is I'd go for a heavy oil based enamel like Rustoleum. My experience with clear finishes here in Colorado is they start to fail in about three years of outdoor exposure. In five years the finish is totally blown and flaking off the substrate.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Administrator

Agreed with Kilz. That stuff could cover just about anything. It is a great primer.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
Manufacturer Representative

We import Mongolian Yurts (SunTime Yurts) and recommend to our customers to use boiled linseed oil on the lattice. It enhances the natural colors of the wood and protects. Even if you are living full time in it, the pacific NW is a wet place and every little edge you can have on mildew helps you sleep better at night.
SunTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None