Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

The Yurt Chimney

Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss View Post
This is a really slick setup jafo. You say you bought all that stuff at the hardware store?

What are the dimensions of that hole and how many lbs of concrete did you end up using to fill it?
Yep, though you may have to shop around for that pipe. We ended up cutting 19" off the 21' pipe.

We basically dug the hole until we couldn't go any deeper, and with the rocky soil it was a challenge. We did it with picks and shovels! The whole ended up being almost 3 feet deep, and I believe 28" across, but I can't remember the exact dimensions. Once we did the math, we widened the hole until we calculated that we would use all the concrete. That pole doesn't budge an inch.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
bss
Yurt Forum Member

I just googled the unistrut. This is very cool. I think I may do mine this way.
Jafo likes this.
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
Yurt Forum Member

Jafo,
Looks great!!!! Sleak and sturdy looking
I look forward to hearing your answer to bss

The one thing that I noticed or perhaps didnt notice was the metal plates on either side of the wall dont appear screwed into one another.
Corina
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
Administrator

Which question was that Corina?

The metal in the through the wall kit is indeed connected together, but that was done right at the end so I didn't get a picture of it. I like the way it just all matches. The silver pipe matches the silver chimney and it all just seems to go together.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

The finished chimney assembly looks great! With the next printing of our Set Up Manual I hope to include more detailed information about the stove installation and incorporate photos. The questions I've seen on this site are helpful in deciding what information would be best to include to further improve the manual.
Hfurby likes this.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Yurts View Post
The finished chimney assembly looks great! With the next printing of our Set Up Manual I hope to include more detailed information about the stove installation and incorporate photos. The questions I've seen on this site are helpful in deciding what information would be best to include to further improve the manual.
That's great! We didn't have too much trouble, but I can see how daunting it is because you have to make such a bold modification to some pretty expensive pieces of the yurt. One thing you might want to add, since we took so much time with it, is to make 100% sure you can dig in the spot you are going to put your support in. It would be a tragedy if you cut the opening and found out the post just could not go there!

I used the stove over the weekend and it got down in the mid 30's. Many times I had to open the roof, it was just too hot, but I also haven't used a wood stove in over 20 years. Worked perfect!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #37
bss
Yurt Forum Member

We stayed very warm with the install of the Earth Stove t150C stove we installed. Burned all night for two nights for us. Temps well into the 30's outside and held a very comfortable 66 on a nice big fir log and a good madrone one to go the distance too.

This was replacing a Dovre NT400 which had been run on propane. Nice working stove, but I just like burning wood.

It took me a while to work up the sheetmetal for the inside flue part, and ended up having to cut my own adapter for the collar to flue pipe anyways. I put up 9' of metalbestos and will probably go up another two feet just for giggles.

Thus, I decided not to pour concrete until I had 100% decided on how tall I wanted the support pole to be. So I instead kind of rebuilt and re-guy wired the existing pole, which would probably last at least another five years. I'll play with the stack height and see where I'm getting the right draw, esp. when it's real cold out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	210   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	211  
Jafo likes this.

Last edited by bss; 10-10-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #38
bss
Yurt Forum Member

here it is.

Next up: Painting the floors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	212  
calcetines likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #39
Administrator

Good looking stove! It looks like it throws off a bit of light too when it gets going.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
Administrator

Default Re: The Yurt Chimney

How did this work out for you last winter and did you make any changes this winter?

Tags
heating, pacific yurts