Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Plumbing Vent

Old 04-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Plumbing vent

Didn't find this in a search of the forums. Has anyone dealt with plumbing codes and specifically, the main vent on the drain system? In a typical framed house, the vent goes through the roof but that's not an option for a yurt. The codes are damn specific and not compatible with yurts.

I can think of plenty of ways to accomplish this functionally and my place is remote enough the plumbing inspector may pass anything for want of not coming back, but I'm curious if anyone here has dealt with pluming inspectors and if so, what did they allow or not allow?

I will post whatever I learn but if I can leverage others' experiences first I'd like to.

skihuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Plumbing vent

That is going to depend on your location.

You will probably have to contact your local inspector and get his/her take on this. As an FYI, most who have a yurt, especially if they live in it, have a wood stove. The pipe goes either through the tono or the side. Ours goes through the side and can be sealed enough to be safe. Note sure if that is an option. That is a question you will have to discuss with the inspector.

Chris
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 04-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Not on a yurt. But around here inspectors cut you NO slack at all. The gov't wants no lawsuits against them, believe me. One of my mantles flunk because the top was>> >1/4"<<< too wide per spec book that came with the insert. I sh%$ you not. 1/4". I wanted to kick that dudes a$$ into next week.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Well that's not promising.

Since my deck is off the ground I was thinking of teeing my vent off the main drain where it will exist under the deck structure and bringing the vent pipe over to the stove pipe and using that support to also support the vent to a proper elevation. Yes I could run it out the wall through a grommet like the stove pipe but I prefer not to.

The inspector has no idea what a yurt is. His inspection will probably be the first time he's seen one.

More than ideas I'm looking for any examples of when folks on this forum did it wrong and didn't pass. If I fail inspection I hope it's on a design that hasn't been tried/flunked before.
skihuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Wish I could give good advice here but I'm no plumber. I do know when I built our house (year 1999 codes applied) there had to be a vent stack directly up and through the attic and roof, within 10 lineal feet of any/all drains. Sink, tub, toilet, shower, clothes washer, dishwasher. If it had a drain, 10' max to stack. Of course there was a stack size minimum diameter as well.

The dude that plumbed my house was a pro plumber friend and he was real upfront about what he had to do to get everything to pass inspection. I didn't get gigged on plumbing. My own work did though. But that's another story.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 04-24-2022 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typos as usual
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None