Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Planning To Build A Yurt In Czech Republic

Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #71
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Planning to build a yurt in Czech Republic

Yes, I plan to make a pattern lath, then maybe some sort of "fence" to lay the laths(s) in a fixed position with a pattern one on top and drill them without worrying if any of them have moved.
Today's photo, we stained the laths with a rusty-red wood stain. We worked after sunset on this, as during the day we build my new smithy.

Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #72
Yurt Forum Addict

Super nice color. I like how you used the ladder for a rack as well. You got some chops there bro. Well done.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #73
Yurt Forum Addict

The color is more rusty/orange in daylight and after drying. We may do another coat of staining yet if we have enough time.
Today I worked on the ring. All clamps removed and the roughly-cut wooden sandwich brought to shape.

Here's the starting point. Those thick planks I used are at least 30 years old, so I hope they won't crack or twist anymore. They also got dirty over the years, when serving as a workshop shelf. I sanded and cleaned the glued surfaces before joining them, now for the outer ones. You can also see I left generous reserves on material at the edges. It all had to go now.

Trimming the outer edge with my trusty axe.

And now for some sanding.

First sanding session done. Flats and outer edge are +/- straight. The inner edge needed some saw attention yet.

Inner edge cut and ready for tomorrow's sanding and final shaping. Filling the imperfections with epoxy.

Have to say, making wheels is surely not easy! Been the first time I tried making something like that, as you can likely see. But everything feels solid and after I add some wood screws, I believe it will hold securely.
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #74
Yurt Forum Addict

Are you butting the rafters into brackets affixed to the ring, and cross bolting them?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #75
Yurt Forum Addict

No, I plan to make holes for the rafters. Following the traditional way in this. Also surely going to have the ring supported by two vertical posts, so I believe it will withstand the weight and stress.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #76
Administrator

I don't know a lot about building. I always tend to overdue it when I make any attempt at carpentry, mostly because I am not confident about my skills. Hence my 600 pound outhouse that the average carpenter could have made 200 pounds. However, I think you could really sure up that ring if you put a layer of plywood on one or both sides. Something that can handle

moisture

too btw.

I just am a little worried about all those cut pieces dealing with the stresses of a roof.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #77
Yurt Forum Addict

Knecht, I'm concerned about your ring. Flat laminated rings made from 2X segments typically have 3 layers, not two. I think it's a good idea to buy another board and add a third layer. Or as Jafo said, add a plywood ring top and bottom. Then that ring would approximate the kaminari ring minus the slots, and I know that is an extremely strong ring.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #78
Yurt Forum Addict

Well, I'm planning to add a wider plywood ring on top, to go over the roof tarp center hole's edge, as I wrote couple posts back. Not sure if both top and bottom extra layer are needed. I mean, if I had the center unsupported, I'd surely be concerned about extra strength of the ring. But with those two "bagana" supports, I believe most of the stress and weight is directed to them and the roof rafters no longer put too much prying on the ring. Am I wrong about this, for some reason? I'm not a builder and never had a yurt, so I can surely make mistakes.
Here's the top wide board I plan to add to the ring:

Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #79
Yurt Forum Addict

The ring in the above photo sits atop the 2 layer ring you made? You shouldn't be needing to do any mortising? I'm confused. lol

I'm not there seeing what's going on. But no need to explain. I'll trust your judgement. Putting supports under the ring is good.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #80
Yurt Forum Addict

The above photos show the extra rim around the top edge of the ring that I'm planning to make.
Anyway, I was thinking about it and maybe I have a solution. Need to think about it yet.
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Tags
None