Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

On-the-job Training On How To Build A Yurt

Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default on-the-job training on how to build a Yurt

Hi,
I would like very much to join someone and get some hands-on experience in Yurt building. I offer to volunteer (although getting accommodation support will be nice too...), and prefer to do it somewhere in Europe.
I live now in Israel and I have a German citizenship.

Any tips, contacts will be greatly appreciated.

leader55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: on-the-job training on how to build a Yurt

I can't help you with contacts. Sorry. If you don't have success finding a teacher, consider jumping in and building one yourself. It isn't difficult if you apply yourself and think through the construction process. And, it isn't that expensive either. I scratch built mine for about $600 U.S. dollars, and that included the canvas cover.

How? Get access to a basic complement of carpentry tools, and a drill and a tablesaw. Google this plan as I did: Clan yama Kaminari yurt

I built the 16'er. Lots of folks with minimal skills have built these simple yurts that they tote to festivals, camp in and live in. Solid and strong, they will last. You'll learn an incredible amount about carpentry and construction building the first one.

Yurts are simple. Men have been building them for hundreds if not thousands of years, with very simple tools. The will to 'do it' covers alot of ground.

Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

To get the plans, click on 'yurt construction'. It's in yellow print near the top of the face page. I have pics loaded on this site of my 16'er built with that plan.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks Bob! I will definitely consider this.
leader55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I would second that, having almost no carpentry skills am in the process of building a yurt. there is so much information online, using youtube videos to learn how-to and how-not-to use a table saw, yurtform to get good feedback from others and read what others have done/tried. I spent months researching and thinking before making the first cut and from that feel quite confident. By doing it yourself you will learn a lot more, and don't forget to learn from mistakes.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I have to retract my 'go for it' approach. I should have addressed tablesaw/miterbox safety in my first post. Any newb that is considering using power saws to do the work, and is really unfamiliar with power saws, should take their safety into consideration. The smart approach is to ask the friend that has the saws, to help you make your cuts. You can work a trade with him, or pay him. I've been working with power tools for decades. Telling a newb to borrow a saw' and Just go for it.' is poor advice, considering the danger involved.

Tags
None