Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Minimal Platform For A 13' Homemade Yurt

Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Minimal platform for a 13' homemade yurt

I'm living in Central Texas. I built a 13' (previously 16') camping yurt I've lived in for about 6 months in 4-6 week intervals. I was designed for west-coast camping, but I'm going to try living in it full time. I'd like to build a minimal platform to get it up away from the scorpions and rattlesnakes. I'm a fairly experienced carpenter and handyman, but haven't designed any load-bearing structures. I'm intending to use some kind of termite-proof adjustable footers for the foundation, and the yurt itself will provide protection from sun and rain, so I'm thinking I could get away with untreated scrap lumber. I really like recycling and scavenging. I'd also like it to be not too hard to disassemble and move, since it's likely I'll need to do that at least once or twice a year. I like the idea of SIPS, but probably am not willing to spend the money to get them. I may go with RMAX sandwiched between OSB instead. I'm looking for simply platform plans that aren't wildly over-engineered.

thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Minimal platform for a 13' homemade yurt

Cheap and moveable is pallets. Nest together, cut to yurt diameter, and cover with boards or plywood. Use 3" plated screws. Install a tarp atop the flooring to stop air infiltration and keep out bugs. Turn the tarp up on the outside of the yurt wall, under the cover. The lowest rope will snug the cover to the tarp. No drafts no snakes no bugs. Snakes are gonna be possible in the pallet floor though. I got rabbits under my yurt deck.

You can also keep out bugs snakes water by just rolling out the tarp on the ground and erecting the yurt atop it. No deck to dissasemble when you move. The seal between the cover and the tarp at the low rope is plenty tight to keep out all bugs. They'll get in at the door or smoke hole though.
immaculata likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Thanks Bob!
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
Administrator

Get yourself a ferret. No mice or snakes.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Great minds work alike, ferrets are one of my favorite critters. In your climate you could have one 'free range' with his own house on the edge of the yurt. But, first, you have to get him/her bonded to you. After that he could live in the yurt with you. A high quality cat food for regular diet and let him roam all he wants.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

One addenda to the ferret, get two, they are social and you will have no mice, rats or squirrels in your yurt.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None