Advanced Search

Insulation In The Pacific Northwest

Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Insulation in the Pacific Northwest

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a yurt from

Pacific Yurts

. I'll be living in southern Washington state and eventually moving to another property somewhere else in the Pacific Northwest. I'm having concerns about

insulation

and mold issues in this climate. Does the factory

insulation

help or hinder ventilation?

Does anyone have advice on whether wall insulation is worth the extra $ for the PNW? We're planning on roof and floor insulation based on recommendations. We are on a budget but if it's worth it to purchase the wall insulation, we'd rather do it sooner than later. We're planning on wood heat and a

dome

opener.

Thanks!

janinePNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Default Re: Insulation in the Pacific Northwest

Hi Janine,

Our insulation will not hinder ventilation for the yurt. It is installed between the wood frame of the yurt and the exterior covers.

If you plan to live in the yurt full time I would highly recommend that you insulate both the roof and walls for the Pacific Northwest region. However, if you plan to use the yurt recreationally you might be fine without the sidewall insulation. If you do install the yurt with only partial insulation, omitting the wall insulation would be the way to go since it is easier to add later when finances allow for it.
mama23 likes this.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Smile Re: Insulation in the Pacific Northwest

Hello,
While I don't live in the Pacific Northwest, I do live is a place that in the winter has lots of rain with occasional ice and snow. in the summer 100 degrees isn't uncommon for days on end with high humidity. I use a woodstove as my primary heat source, with a propane backup and electrics if I need to use them. My advice is, having too much insulation is like saying I have too much money in my bank account! The factory insulation is the way to go as it doesn't really have much for mold to attach to. With wood heat, it is so dry you won't have any problems unless you leave the yurt unattended for extended periods of time. Something different that I did was instead of the foil bubble insulation in the walls, i put up full size sleeping bags, unzipped and hung like a window curtain using curtain mounting loops that clamp to the sleeping bags and can be easily disconnected. They are mounted between the lattice and the outer wall. Once a year or so I take the sleeping bags to the laundry mat where they have the big washers and dryers and I launder them, then rehang them. It takes about a day to do it. Each sleeping bag was under ten dollars at Academy Sport and you can order them in the same color. I choose forest green. I'm on my seventh year doing this they are as new. I think in all I purchased 18 sleeping bags for $200.00 cash with tax. I believe the factory stuff is much more expensive and in my opinion not nearly so attractive and with some good fabric softener your yurt will smell petunia fresh! Good luck, and remember have fun with it!
hierony likes this.
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Administrator

Default Re: Insulation in the Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwingfield View Post
Something different that I did was instead of the foil bubble insulation in the walls, i put up full size sleeping bags, unzipped and hung like a window curtain using curtain mounting loops that clamp to the sleeping bags and can be easily disconnected. They are mounted between the lattice and the outer wall. Once a year or so I take the sleeping bags to the laundry mat where they have the big washers and dryers and I launder them.
Hmm, this has given me an idea. I only have the foil insulation. I have it on the walls and roof. My bed is next to one of the zip up windows and even with the cover zipped down, there is a little draft coming through it. I might pinch a sleeping bag between the lattice and wall as you described and see if it alleviates that.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, pacific yurts