Advanced Search

Heating

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Heating

Hi Everyone;

We’re looking for examples of non-woodstove

heating

options for our 20’ yurt. We’re using it as a detached addition to our home in Mid-Coast Maine, and want it to be ready for use whenever we want it. We’d generally keep a max indoor temp of 62-65 F.

Electric?, propane? What’s worked best for you?

Thanks!

Jeremy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Heating

I'd advise you to get a brazier, and a huge stack of dollar bills, and burn the money to heat your yurt.

You'd better be rich, 'cos

heating

an outdoor room 24/7/365 is going to cost a fortune no matter what heating method you use.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 08-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

hobbit lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative

lol, that was a funny comment!

But seriously, I agree that blowing our precious natural resources out for a standby luxury item is not a good idea.

Might I suggest converting your 20' yurt into a 20' greenhouse yurt?

I can make or you could have made by someone a high quality greenhouse fabric covering for your yurt.

This may actually provide a nice solar gain to help heat your house in the winter.

The walls can have a inner layer of screening, making it so that you can open the walls completely and have a screen room during the summer months.
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Administrator

Well, if you can afford it, electric is the EASIEST..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

Yes, electric is definitely easiest. No installation costs, movable, and with a thermostat.

If you want to minimize the heat loss, go for the highest rated

insulation

package available, the one meant for high-altitude-Colorado or Canada. It will seem like overkill but it'll pay for itself over just a few years if you're keeping the place warm all the time.

Enjoy! A yurt is so lovely to have, beautiful round space, circular skylight, just the best.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

For my 16ft Pacific Yurt I plan to use a Pioneer WYS012-17 Air Conditioner Inverter+ Ductless Wall Mount Mini Split System Air Conditioner & Heat Pump Full Set, 12000 BTU 115V.

Mini splits are basically heat pumps that are highly efficient, have both heating and cooling, have the evaporator remotely mounted, and are very quiet. You see them all over Europe, but have not caught on here as well, but are becoming popular.

I have the full

insulation

package, and a well insulated floor, so plan on this being a good option. I can post the monthly cost, as I will have it on a meter.

Link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DVW6G06...rldwidecreatio

Josh

Last edited by Jafo; 09-18-2018 at 05:14 PM.
jpinreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

I have a traditional Mongolian Yurt and have a split unit in it that heats and cools. It is in Northern Idaho and it seems to work well but I can not attest to how much it cost to keep it heated and or cooled all the time. I know I have used it for 5 days and my electric bill only went up by about $10 but that was not extreme temps either.

I purchased and installed a 24,000 btu. Wanted to make sure when I do use it in the winter and summer it would keep it comfortable.

I also have a wood stove I just completed installing and used it for a very short time this past Sat and with just one piece of scrap 2x10 split it heated it up very nicely and very quickly. Can't wait to use it this winter and see how well it does.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

There are also infrared panels on the market. We are thinking buying one and try it. The advantage of infrared is that it is heathing the objects in the room and not the air.
Dutchyandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Heating Update,

As a refresh I recently built a 16 foot yurt in Reno NV, and now we are in the 20's at night. As it is a backyard yurt I opted for a 120v Inverter, and selected this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has been flawless, and was easy to install and set up. It is extremely quiet, and occasionally I can hear the fan very faintly outside of the yurt but the inside unit is silent even when fully on. I imagine you could soundproof the unit to some degree, but it is not really noticeable.

As for heat: It heats the space uniformly and will easily hold any temp I set. I currently have it set at 77 degree's and it maintains a heat at floor level of about 73 degrees. I believe the energy usage to be minimal as it is such a hyper efficient unit, my guess would be $50-75 a month based on live meter usage but I will know more in a few weeks and will post costs.

I leave it on 24x7 and it usually kicks on and off less throughout the day as the sun heats up the Yurt. All in all, I am thrilled. It's not cheap, but honestly I can't really deal with the heating with wood concept, and need my Yurt warm and ready at all times for work or guests.

Our first guests have raved about it. I thought the price was right, and is plenty warm for any climate, and has the benefit of cooling as well. You will need a 100$ vacuum pump to install the unit, but was easy to do, with many youtube videos to support the process.

Cheers, Happy to answer any and all questions.

Josh
jpinreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating