Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Flooring Options For Transportable Yurt?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Flooring options for transportable yurt?

Hi all

I'm considering the possibility of putting together a wooden floor/decking that can be transported with a 6M yurt.
trying to figure out if its feasible or not.

floor would sit on 2x2 sleepers to raise it off ground.

yurt will be moved via transit van (rented) once or twice a year.
with the weight limit on these vans i have concerns about the weight of disassembled yurt + floor once loaded onto van.

iv recently been doing a stable conversion at my parents house. for the floor we got some 2ft by 8ft chipboard (with the grooves on edges that slot into each other).
they are so dammed heavy its a challenge to carry even one by myself.

im guessing the thinner / lighter the flooring, they more easily it bends etc.

is there any solutions for lighter-weight flooring?
(that stuff we used in stable is high grade, designed to hold heavy furniture etc. I cant imagine yurt-floor will have so much load-bearing requirements as a house does).

considering that yurt is to be moved at least once a year, is it even worth having floorboards?
(groundsheet is feesable, but i really like the idea of wooden floor)

ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Flooring options for transportable yurt?

Are you going to be moving them back and forth to the same location? If so, why not pour a round slab?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 01-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Jafo

thanks for suggestion. I very much doubt I will be moving it back and forth to same location.

The desire for yurt has come about from my days of drifting/backpacking around Europe several years ago.
It used to be a way of life, living on the road, hitchhiking, making money as i went along, usually with a guitar.
Randomers would often invite me into their community, it was beautiful.

Eventually I got tired of not having a place to call home. But still wanted to have elements of nomadic living.
a campervan was not quite rooted enough + would like just a little bit more living space.

at one point i stumbled across a small community of stone age rainbow hippies in France.
They had a yurt for guests. 7 meter, vinyl cover, wood burner, oak wood floor.

I fell in love with it. seemed like the perfect balance between travel and 'cozy homeness'.
So as it stands yurt be moved once/twice a year to explore different small communities / farmsteads.

There are a fair few posts scattered around internet on wooden decking for permanent Yurts setups.
But i have yet to find any info on flooring for annual transport.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

on doing some research on van rentals (the way i planning to move yurt). the weight limit seems to usualy pan out around 1000kg (~1 ton / 2200 lbs).

roughly speaking, how much is a 6M yurt likely to weigh?

Last edited by ChrisL; 01-30-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Not sure about how much they weigh. I know many people just lay out a tarp and then fold it UPWARDS inside the yurt, against the wall so you are kind of like in a giant tub. That keeps the water out.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

6M yurt = perfect nomad yurt imo.

The simplest floor is tarp on ground covered with circular carpet. Erect yurt on carpet. Fold tarp up under yurt cover outside the wall and secure with the low rope or band. Voila! a bathtub floor and no drafts and bugs. Cheap as it gets. Easy to install. Dry. For nomadic this would be my 1st choice. Lay a sheet of cement board under the wood stove. You need a tight fitting cap or a bonafide

dome

to keep water out.

Alternative wood floors require real work/money.

SIP panels by a pro $$$$

3/4 t@g OSB screwed into pressure treated 2x4s 'sleepers' laid flat on the ground, on 2' centers. Cut the whole shebang to yurt diameter. Paint and label the entire system for easy id later when moved. Use new screws each go round.

Second. Two layers of osb screwed to eachother. Lay out the first layer. Orient the second layer at a right angle atop the first. Screw the two layers together. Cut to diameter. Again, paint and label everything. Use new screws each go around. Moving this means real work, but it is portable and relatively cheap. You need a truck or full size cargo van.

Third. Circle of osb atop pallets. Real work. Truck for sure.

IMO the best nomadic system is plastic tarp and carpet. No bugs, no drafts, dry, cheap and easy. Just roll your floor. You like apples? How 'bout them apples? 6 meter roll up rollout in a weekend if the move is close. When the tarp gets funky replace it with another cheap one.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

XD I do indeed like apples.

sounds like tarp + carpet will be simplest solution.

Like many modular aspects of yurt building, it seems i can consider wooden flooring at later date and add it in fairly simply.

thanks for helping clear things up chaps. have a nice day
YurterRT likes this.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

OK Chris, check this out. Copy and paste:

Nomadic tiny home: Mongolian yurt moves in 1 day, DIY-style

This is the way to go. You really don't need a wood floor if you are nomadic.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Check out some of my photos/albums. I just took up my yurt to move to a new town for a job--don't have a place to setup yet but hopefully can find something by the not-so-rainy months here.

Anyhow, my platform is 15 wedges with a 15-sided polygon center ~5 ft in diameter. Each big wedge weighs around 80-100 lbs. I can lift & move them by myself, but awkward. Taking down the yurt is much easier with two people anyhow (almost essential for the crown ring raising/lowering step).

My 6 meter/20 ft yurt frame & fabric layers probably weigh around 800 lbs, depending on quantities of

insulation

& types of materials. My platform is at least another 1000 lbs. Then there's all the other bits (clothes, furniture, cooking supplies, heater). For this move, it was easiest to pay for a 20 ft livestock trailer to be driven ~190 miles. There was a bit of leftover space, even! Unfortunately I didn't have my masonry heater moving technique up to par so didn't get it in that trailer load.

I think I'm going to try to get a 20 ft conex/shipping container to make future moves easier & for on-site storage too.
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Conex is 'THE' locking dry storage shed on big jobsites. Good luck with your move and new job.

Tags
None