Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Defining A Yurt.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Defining a yurt.

When I was young enough to be a Boy Scout, one of the leaders built a yurt to use on camping trips as something of a 'main' tent. The scouts mostly had their own tents, but the yurt provided a tent big enough for us all to get together for whatever reason seemed appropriate.

I always thought that his yurt was a neat idea. I had considered living in a yurt myself, but it never quite panned out. Now that I'm older, I'm getting to the point where I want my own place. I've moved out of my parent's home, but I'm not sure I'm liking living in a building belonging to someone else. I have to play by their rules, and do as they say. I would much rather be on my own. I had started to consider buying my own place, but after a conversation with a friend, my mind came back to the idea of living in a yurt.

I've been looking around the interwebs the past few days and seen that there are lots of options. Today I found this forum, and thought that it would be as good a place to ask a lingering question that I have. My question is, if you have a circular structure with regular framed walls, but a yurt-like rafters system, would that be considered a yurt? I know there is a company that sells such a 'yurt', but I'm wondering if die-hard yurt fans would consider it a yurt. The company I'm referring to is

Smiling Woods Yurts - Yurts for Sale

There may also be other companies, I'm not sure. I'm wondering if this would still be considered a yurt without the lattice walls and fabric like covering?

kd7wrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the site!

A yurt can be made in many different ways, using many different materials. To me, the basic design that defines a yurt is how the structure is supported. The idea is compression and tension. The rafters sit in a

center ring

and the compress against it. The other end of the rafters are held by tension against a rope or cable. What the rest of the components are, are not really important to me.

That is just my opinion, I am sure there are more.

I am assuming you are located around the Pacific Northwest? If this is going to be your residence, make sure you understand how it will react to snow load. The manufacturer should be able to provide you plans, especially if you are going to want to follow local ordinances.

Is kd7wrc your call sign?

- Jeff
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I like your definition. Maybe add in the general overall shape, and I'm happy with it.

I don't think I would qualify as the Pacific Northwest. I think the region is typically referred to as Southwest. I come from Utah, right smack in the middle of Mormon country. I've planned on making sure any yurt I build would be able to stand up to cold and snow. Utah has the best snow on earth, just ask our license plates.

Yes, it is my call sign.

Last edited by kd7wrc; 12-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Administrator

Ahh ok. I figured that was your call sign. Mine is KD2AIT. Nothing like running nets on solar power way up at my yurt.

I would ask if you can talk with any previous clients in your area and maybe tour one of their yurts. It can't hurt. I will say this, the yurts they have on their site are almost double what it costs for a canvas yurt. They are also not very portable. Something you may want to keep in mind because you sound like you are younger. You are more likely to one day decide to pick up and move somewhere else for a change of pace.

If I was young and single again, I would definitely consider living in a yurt full time.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
You are more likely to one day decide to pick up and move somewhere else for a change of pace.

If I was young and single again, I would definitely consider living in a yurt full time.
Change of pace? That's what the motorcycle is for. Pack for a weekend, and see where the road goes.

A fabric yurt would be awesome, but I think a yurt with a more traditional framing building technique would help get around permitting issues. And since I won't be young and single forever, it might be easier to find a lady willing to live in a wooden yurt, rather than a soft-sided yurt.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Manufacturer Representative

Default Stick with the motorcycle idea for travel!

What a good part of the country you are in for motorcycling. Central location, South to Red Rocks in New Mexico, North through the Rockies and Glacier National park to Peace & Jasper then on to Alaska!, West to the Redwoods in California & Sand Dunes in Oregon, and East to Us Yankees!

Try 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig - Great Read!

Celebrate you're youth & please share it with us!

You turned me on to this Smiling Woods Yurt Company. For what they are offering I think it is a good price actually. The learning curve you would go though to build something of the quality they show in their web photos would cost you ALOT more (Money, Blood, Sweat, & Tears) than just hiring them to build it for you. I'm sure if you watch closely and help with the construction you could learn a great deal.

$25,000 for a turn-key framed yurt with metal roof, built by an experienced crafstman! Seriously, that is a bargain at twice the price!

I agree with you also about the permitting. This style of permanent yurt is sure to pass building codes as long as your contractor knows them and adheres to them before you give the green light.

Go for it man! You only live once, and money (along with philosophy) is only as good as what you can do with it to improve your daily life.

-Cheers
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what is a yurt