Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Deck Or Platform - Help!

Old 11-12-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Deck or platform - help!

Hi
We just purchased a 16' Pacific Yurt. We're putting in our backyard in Portland Or as a spare bedroom.
Our friends helping us suggest we place a deck first, in case we move the yurt AND because we want to build additional deck space next spring. They say trying to build a deck to fit the round platform will be challenging and expensive. Also, if we take the yurt, we can leave a fully intact deck.

Any/all thoughts appreciated?
We'll do Sunwood or cedar decking and a platform with TNG for yurt.

Proposed deck will go from yurt to garage (see 3rd pic).

Thank you win advance!
Regina

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yurtyard1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	5.30 MB
ID:	1590   Click image for larger version

Name:	yurtyard2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	5.11 MB
ID:	1591   Click image for larger version

Name:	yurtyard-full.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	4.89 MB
ID:	1592  

Last edited by PDXnewbie; 11-12-2023 at 12:01 PM.
PDXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Deck or platform - help!

I built a 16' platform in 2013 for my 16' yurt. Photos are seen online on google images. Mine is the rustic green doored yurt with rafters either side of the door:

Bob Rowlands home made yurt

That low platform would be perfect for your flat back yard. Mine sits on poured concrete pads that lay on the ground, not 'in' the ground.

As to round vs square, just keep in mind the deck boards that are exposed if it is square are gonna weather fast, especially in your climate. You really need to keep that deck coated to preserve it. Believe me it is gonna take yearly coats to stay in good condition in your climate.

If you do a very low platform like mine, I suggest you do all framing with pressure treated lumber. For decking redwood would be $$$$$$ ideal if you like real wood. TREX or other composite decking is a better idea though from a practical pov.

I am almost done with the final details on my 12'6" yurt rebuild. No wood platform. I made a 16 sided frame out of pressure treated 2x4 set on edge, and set level on the ground. I filled the frame with pea gravel. WAAAY less money and works great. Zero maintenance. I got the 16 sided lengths and angle calculation using a free online program. If you opt for more than 16 sides, as I would if I built another peas gravel pad, the calculator will give you 'spot on' dimensions that you simply use when making cuts on your chop saw. For roundness, 20 beats sixteen, and 24 would be ideal. I used cheap galvanized 'strong tie' framing connectors to secure the joints Bomb proof. I suggest 2-3" to your yurt width for diameter during the calculation. That will set the lattice just inside the frame.

BTW I built my 10x12 barn shed on the old 16' platform. The deck boards that are exposed have been painted twice in the last three years and are in serious need of work right now. I built the platform in 2013 and used 2x6 common construction lumber for the deck boards. Inside, no problemo. Outside BIG problem. And that's in semi arid Colorado.

Good luck.
UKadventurer likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 11-12-2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Standard typos and disorganized content.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 11-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

@PDXnewbie if you build a square or rectangular deck you will need to build a raise circular platform on top of it, which stand 6" above the deck. This will allow for proper anchoring of the Pacific Yurt and for the exterior side cover to extend below floor level and seal against water and air infiltration. You can find more information about this on our website at https://www.yurts.com/customer-suppo...-yurt-require/. If you have additional questions feel free to give our customer service reps a call at 1-800-944-0240.
Bob Rowlands and UKadventurer like this.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:19 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer

Personally I avoided wood decks for my gers. I've seen the results of a few years on wooden decks and they just don't last and/or need tons of maintenance and that's in Mongolia which is a fairly dry country, except for our rainy season in Summer.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 15.08.41.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1607

This is at a tourist camp in Mongolia where we stayed. The wood planks are rotten, cracked or missing. The OSB for the interior of the ger is delaminating and falling apart.

Also, they cost a lot. In Oregon, I suspect you could do metal frame and trek. Then some sort of durable ger pad. Maybe with XPS in a ring.

In Mongolia, almost everybody uses concrete. It lasts a lifetime and costs very little here. This is ours.

Name:	06 foundations.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1608

The outer ring is about 30cm (12") above the surrounding soil and the inner ring is 10cm (4") above that. It should outlive me with zero maintenance.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks all, we went for the standard Pac Yurts platform.
Waiting on the fir TnG and should be up over New Years wknd.

Do you all recommend seal/stain wood? The guys at the lumber place recommended something for the wood.
Thanks!
TSRalex likes this.
PDXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Standard grade OSB sheeting isn't designed for weather exposure, nor is it finish floor worthy. Wicked slivers ARE gonna happen.

Even T@G OSB subfloor sheathing should be painted if left weather exposed for any length of time. Back during the day one of my contractor framing buddies had three crews going. They were so busy and so in demand they'd get a floor in, paint it with 'whoops' paint from Depot or Lowes, and leave for a couple weeks to go work on another house.

So paint it real good and get it covered up. It's not flooring. I even painted my 3/4 t@g plywood subfloor. But since I framed the house myself it wasn't exactly dried in in three weeks either lemme tell yuh. haha

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 12-23-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts