Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Cost For Platform (and Deck)?

Old 04-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Cost for platform (and deck)?

Hello,

I'm new to this site and very fascinated with these structures! They are so beautiful. I think I've watched every video dealing with Yurts on Youtube at least 20 times. I've been on all the Yurt Sites checking out prices(& photos), and looked threw every Google Image I could find on every aspect of these structures. Now I found myself here hungry for more knowledge

So now I've been trying to figure out the costs associated with building the platform. It's not cheap sad to say. So I've been brainstorming alternative ways to build these platforms cheaper. Here's what I came up with and wondered if anyone tried this method. That method is making a cordwood platform. Maybe strap the diameter together or use some other method to hold them together. Then set the yurt on top of it. Here are some links to use as a reference.

Obviously keep in mind that the wood would obviously be hooked together into a circle. The photos are just for an idea. It would be cool to hear some feedback on this. The only thing I don't like about this idea, is that this method seems more invasive to the land and more for a permanent structure.
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by Jafo; 04-17-2014 at 06:55 PM.
rylan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Youngin

I posted something a little bit ago, but don't see it anywhere. So here is the short version. Anyone ever use Cordwood for their Yurt deck platform. Here are a couple ideas I had but obviously put into a circle and perhaps strap together or something.

Laughing House | Cob Cottage Company

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...df5a31a2aa.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...05ec5c43a8.jpg
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Administrator

If you can get the diameter right, I don't see why not. You would want to make it high enough for the side walls to overlap it and still not touch the ground (varies by manufacturer), but otherwise I see no reason for it not to work.
rylan1 likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Youngin

...then perhaps make a form like you would for pouring concrete and load all the logs inside and go from there.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Administrator

If you guys press the picture button:

Name:   Capture.JPG
Views: 4705
Size:  32.8 KB

And enter the URL to the picture, it will show up embedded into your post btw.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

Wow! That floor is absolutely incredible. In 41 years of carpentry work I've never seen a floor like that. Now that is impressive. Very nicely done.

All I can say is, I'm confident that anyone that can pull off a floor like that is gonna figure out how to do their yurt. Reading your text before the pics, I was gonna comment about going with regular pressure treated lumber and 2x6s for decking. But I gotta tell ya, you'll figure a way without resorting to building a typical deck. That is one ingenius floor.

Good luck to you.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #27
Yurt Forum Youngin

Bob I wish I could take credit for those pics but I can't. These are photos I found around the net. However, I was also very impressed with them and it seemed like a cheaper route to go with a little hard work. I'm not trying to cut corners on the building process, just trying to figure out diff methods to build this platform cheaper.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #28
Yurt Forum Youngin

I will also note that in the last photo, it seems to be an epoxy resin finish. Sort of like certain Bar Tops with that see thru finish. I'm not sure how easy this would be to do either. I've worked with this stuff doing art work and basically had to set up a containment unit in order to keep a spec of dust out of it, and also had to take a blow torch to it, to remove any bubbles that would rise while it is setting. On a larger scale outside...this last idea may be almost impossible to recreate? But then again, who knows? Just interested in diff methods cus every time I'm in Home Depot pricing this stuff, it kind of make my jaw drop. When did becoming a Gypsy become so expensive? lol
Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #29
Yurt Forum Addict

Google cordwood and stackpole construction for similar effects.

I have also seen spray on epoxy resins on table and bar tops, you had to be really careful on preventing dust settling in, they did them in a booth. I think for a large floor like this you would want a tent of some kind over the part being sprayed.

Its a beautiful effect. But ouch the cost !
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #30
Yurt Forum Addict

Well, I see once again that my post reading skills are lacking. lol

If you just really want to get into a yurt, but don't really have the funds to build a wood platform, don't let that stop you. Skip the expensive floor for now. Just set the yurt atop a blue tarp that is larger than the yurts diameter by a couple feet or so. Tuck the tarp edge up under the bottom of the wall cover. The low tension band will snug both to the lattice wall. You can cover the tarp with anything.

For a cheap wood floor, scrounge up some pallets. Clear and level the site. Lay out the pallets. Flush the tops, and screw together. Cover with sheet goods. Cut to circular, or just do the tarp thing atop the square deck. You can anchor the lattice to the deck with 90 degree brackets. If interested type 'Homemade yurt' in searchbox up top to see my yurt and how I attached it to my platform. I got less than $700 in my trad wood platform btw.
yurtgirl likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yurt platform