Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Conversion Of A Canvas Yurt To A Permanent Structure.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Conversion of a canvas yurt to a permanent structure.

Hi YurtForum!

I'm about to be the new owner of a 30' yurt (manufacturer unknown) here in Hawaii. The yurt canvas is all moldy and has a few rat-holes chewed through it, so I'm starting to examine my options for converting it to a more permanent structure (ie. no canvas).

I've been reading through these forums and have found some great tips and suggestions, but still need some specifics cleared up in my head before I make a final plan.

I've been told that I can use something called "SmartBoard" as siding, and frame in windows quite easily. I was told that I'd just remove the canvas and (optionally) the lattice, then screw in the "Smartboard" just like normal siding. Does anyone have experience using this material? Tips/Suggestions?

The yurt does have the redwood "stud" package as a friend called it so framing in windows should be pretty straightforward, but any tips/pointers on that would be appreciated to.

Additionally, I'm starting to research and get quotes for custom metal yurt roofing, but it seems like shipping cost is going to be prohibitively expensive here in Hawaii. Is is a bad idea to simply slap some additional struts between the existing 2x6 redwood rafters and lay down a plywood/asphalt shingle roof?

Anyhow, if anyone has any pointers or tips, I'd be happy to have them as I embark on this new project.

Thanks in advance!

mgeekwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Conversion of a canvas yurt to a permanent structure.

Smartboard? lol haven't a clue what that is. I suggest investing in a fifteen year cover and just leaving the yurt as it is, and not trying to reinvent it.

Off topic. IMO if someone is interested in a 'long term hard sided structure' they really should just build a small conventionally framed shed/home, instead of trying to convert a yurt. Square and rectangular buildings are a snap to build and the materials are sold everywhere. jmo though. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Administrator

I agree with Bob, you will be better off and most likely safer, in just getting a new 15/yr roof. If you take care of it, it will last well over 20 years.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ok, thank you for the input!

I was trying to think of ways to make the yurt insurable and lendable without spending too much money on it.

Sounds like I'll be better off moving the yurt and building a square structure on the existing foundation (the

yurt platform

& foundation was built for a normal structure originally).

In any case many thanks for your responses.
mgeekwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Buying a stout 15 year cover from one of the fine sponsors of this forum, is the way to cover a yurt that is a full on residence. I didn't know that three years ago, but I know it now for CERTAIN. I have a home made (cheap) canvas cover, and it isn't even kinda slightly remotely close to the high quality offered in a professionally made cover. That is money very well spent.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None