Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Building My First Yurt

Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #61
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Building my first yurt

So, Ive been sleeping in my yurt for a week now. Its been a learning experience. The first few nights were FREEZING cold. But I am getting the hang of keeping a fire going and wearing lots of clothing to stay warm.

Lessons:

1. Either use tongue and groove flooring, or, insulate the floor. The gaps between regular boards allowed cold air to pump into the yurt. It was horrible. I have been plugging the gaps with string. It is working really well.

2. Be more precise than you think you need to be with all of the construction. It makes a huge difference, at least to me. Even though yurts seem to be fairly forgiving in construction.

3. Be patient.

4. The more

insulation

you have, the more comfortable you will be.

5. Be creative and have fun.

On a side note, I think my roof cable may be a little loose. Everything seems stable. I am able to sit on the roof ring. We had crazy winds the other night with no issues. Maybe I am just over thinking this, but should I be concerned?

I should be finishing up some final touches over the next couple days. I will get more photos posted.

Thanks!!!

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	531  
Bob Rowlands likes this.
ryankal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #62
Administrator

One thing I do in my yurt in the winter is sleep with a knit cap on. Keeps you warmer than u think!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #63
Yurt Forum Addict

Good job all around Ryan.

A drafty floor is unpleasant. Once the weather warms up for a stretch, caulk the floor gaps. Use clear if you don't plan on finishing the floor with paint or stain. You'll lose all the drafts I promise.

As far as

insulation

, 10-4 on that. I have NO insulation at all in mine. If I had to live in there, it would be insulated. I'm thinking I might line the wall with wool army blankets.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #64
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Ryan,

I just finished reading through your posts about your yurt, and my mind is completely blown! How on earth did you make that yurt so fast? I've been working for two days with friends and just completed one platform (I'm making two 12' yurts). You got so much done in such a small amount of time, it's really impressive.
Kudos on your design, if I were to make a yurt again, I would probably borrow some of your techniques (your rafter ring is much simpler than mine, for instance, and I like the 2x6 floor, meaning less rigid support is necessary).

How have you found your stove being in the middle? My friend wants a stove in his yurt, but if it's in the middle, it seems to occupy the whole yurt. On the other hand, if it's vented out the side, it seems to drive the cost up quite a bit.

-Julian
Buishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #65
Yurt Forum Addict

A couple of comments about stove placement.

I installed my wood stove in the middle of my 16' yurt with traditional placement in mind. I've found that the side the firebox opens to is the basic gathering area when it is cold, with directly in front of the stove box the prime area to sit or sleep. That central placement in my uninsulated yurt has effectively yielded less than half the yurt as the prime gathering area. In real cold nobody wants to hang out opposite the door.

In retrospect installing the heater off center and near the wall would effectively increase the socializing area in such a small uninsulated yurt.

Insulation is an absolute necessity in a cold climate if the yurt is your prime residence.

I haven't found the lack of 'swing room' of a central pipe stack location to be an issue.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #66
Yurt Forum Addict

A drafty yurt with a drafty floor is killer in cold weather. Seal all floor gaps. Better yet insulate the platform. Plan on the wall and roof being insulated
Jafo likes this.

Tags
None