Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Building A Tono For A Perspex Dome. Any Good Simple Ideas?

Old 10-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default building a tono for a perspex dome. any good simple ideas?

hello there, im building a 16 foot ger, and got me a nice perspex

dome

for the crown, was wondering about the simplest way to build a tono to fit this? chhers dan.

danthemullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: building a tono for a perspex dome. any good simple ideas?

I'd need photos to say. I suggest you go here:

Clan yama kaminari

Click on 'make it' or 'yurt build' There are detailed instructions on how to make an easy yurt ring from 3/4" plywood and spacers. This ring works for 1x3 rafters. I have made three using that as the basic pattern. My yurts have been 14', 15'9", and 12'6" all have had 1x3 rafters and all were built using the kaminari basic build. I;ll bet that ring could be fabricated to incorporate your

dome

. Have fun good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

how I do it now is I got a tea port took a hose hooked the tea pot up to a pvc pipe and steam the wood then put it in a mold, how I get the holes , never got the math right, so I would put the Tono in the middle of the yurt on the ground/deck put all the pole on the ger like I am putting it up and where the poles hit on the tono I would put a mark there now I know where the poles will hit , i drill a small hole in all the spot then get a pick axe heat it up and pust it in the hole, they way I get the angle in I put it on one end of the saw horse just drop over the end the opposite side of the Tono will hit the legs now you are at the correct angle , good luck
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

you can also soak the wood in water and once they get really wet maby a day or two then you can bend them gently around your mold, you can also get a hand held steamer and steam as you bend it around your mold.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Nothing wrong with doing rafter spacing by eye, laying rafters in there are eyeballing marks. It isn't wing chords in the space shuttle.

Simple math will also yield exact center to center distance on the ring.

3.14 x tono diameter in inches gives circumference of the ring. Divide that sum by the total number of rafters will yield a center to center distance between rafters. You can use dividers, a measuring tape, or a piece of masking tape folded over on itself and cut to that length, and lay out the rafter centers on the ring. This is how I laid out rafter spacing on all three of my yurt rings.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome