Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

A Few Q's.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Question a few q's.

How do everybody? I wanna build a 12 footer for a temporary shelter in central texas. I'd like it to easily last a year with expected maintenance.

So I was wondering what (cheapish) lumber yall would recommend for the khana and uni? Also would the 7 oz cotton duck canvas work okay?

I'm takin any and all suggestions but I am trying to finish under 500 - 600 bucks before rugs, stove, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

GoatBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: a few q's.

I can only speak for myself. I use 2x6 x 8ft i drill them first then slice them into 7/8 slats for the walls. i use 1x3 x8 cut into trusses. and 3/4 plywood for the roof ring. for the cover i have used cotton canvas duct but noticed a slight mist when it rained out so some sort of water proofing might help with this. I have also used swimming pool covers for roof covering this is cheap and very durable. for the walls i use those white tarps they use on those portable garages also cheap over the internet. you can check the photos section under this user name to see some of my yurts. all 16 ft. hope this helps
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

GoatBou, look for affordable, detailed plans of a 12' yurt YOU can build. Google:

clan yama kaminari mongolian yurt

I built the 16'er. There is a 12'er listed with exact cut dimensions, tools needed, assembly, and cover details. The whole plan is spot on, and you just might do it for $600, if you do ALL the work yourself. Get wall covering-painters tarp- at Home Depot. home Depot painters tarp will NOT keep out rain. You'll have to get a real tarp for that. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Also, to see pics of the yurt, google:

rotten luck guild yurt

Click on yurt pics. The yurt in that photo spread is the 16'er I built. The 12'er is the same construction. There are also pics on this site of my yurt.

Also, save money and substitute 1/8th paracord for the lattice wall, instead of 1/4-20 bolts in the plan. Be sure the paracord is braided core, it will hold up better. If you do use bolts, get them at a bolt supply house and you'll save half what Depot charges.

Have fun.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Alright. All that helps quite a bit guys. Thanks for helpin out this amateur.
GoatBou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None