Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Looking Plans For Small Yurt

Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Looking plans for small yurt

Hello,

I have been lurking the forum for a while and finally joined.

I am hoping to build a small yurt, around 10ft in diameter. I have searched the forum, but haven't seen anything this small. Can anyone suggest where I can find detailed plans?

Thank you.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

BrianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Looking plans for small yurt

Did you check the plan section on this site. And there are a lot posted on the internet.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Look at the following
Clan yama kaminari yurt

Click on make it, and scroll to the ring and rafter details. I have built that system in both my yurts. Very strong and solid even in extreme wind. If you have a carpenter friend he could help you with this. I have about $300 in the ring and rafters. My labor though.

If you want to see that Kaminari yurt ring and rafter system, in google images type in:

Bob Rowlands home made yurt

Mine is the rough looking green door yurt with rafters either side. There are several detailed photos of it in images.
BrianT likes this.
YurterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks YurterRT. I was about to post some version of that. lol

Brian, there is no 10' plan on the Kaminari site. There is a 12'er. I have to assume you've never built a yurt before, so, my suggestion is to just follow the 12' plan. 12' is a much better size as well, imo. The weight portability and set up 'hassle' between the two is negligible.

A 10' yurt is about the floor size of a 9x9 umbrella tent. The umbrella tent can be set up in a small fraction of the time of any yurt. For camping I'd recommend it. Much smaller lighter easy to erect and carry around. But that's jmo. I like a yurt WAY better.

There's a video of a Kaminari type 12'er here:

Wilderness outfitters American yurt

wilderness outfitters yurt crib
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

The Kaminari yurt can definitely be reduced in size to 10' d. But you have to know how to do it.

This is for a yurt 10'4" in diameter. That yields 23 rafters at 17" centers at the wall. That yields squares in the laths, with 12" hole centers, as per the Kaminari plan. How'd I get that? 17" is the center to center distance of rafters in the Kaminari plan that has lath holes on 12" centers. A 12" square has a hypotenuse of 17". 17 x 23, divided by 12", is the circumference in feet of a 10'4" diameter circle. You have to have a whole number of rafters. I did the math for you.

Just imagine you are looking at your yurt through the middle 10'4", wall to wall, including the ring. You layout half that width, 5'2", as a full scale cross sectional view on a large floor like a garage floor, and set your rafter stock in place on the section to get the correct fit of bird mouth to wall, length to ring, and length and angle of rafter end into ring slot.

Draw a straight baseline (the ground) 5'2" long. The wall line, perpendicular to that baseline on one end, up for 62", which is the wall height when the yurt is erected. At the other end of the 5'2" baseline, draw a line perpendicular to the baseline up 8' (the top of the ring) The cross section of the 30" wide, 4.25" tall ring, sits on that line, parallel to the floor. So draw a section of the ring with 15" towards the wall side. The top of the ring is 8' off the floor, with 15" extending towards the wall side.

Note* I modified the Kaminari lath hole plan, and made my laths 90" in length, instead of 96". That leaves holes 3" in from each end, instead of 3" and 9". An unsupported 9" stub is prone to breaking.

So, now you have a 10'4" yurt cross section drawn to full scale. The top of the wall in its installed position is 62" in height, where the rafters sit. The top of the ring is 8' in height, the centerline of the 30" wide ring is 5'2" from the wall. To get rafter fit, merely lay your 1x3 rafter stock on the layout so it fits into the drawn ring cross section, and lays 62" off the floor on the top of the wall. Mark it up, and you'll get an >exact< fit of rafter to wall and ring. The length and angle are on the money.

You'll have 23 rafter slots in the ring. So build it accordingly. Use the 30" ring outside diameter and 22" inside diameter. I suggest spacing the rings with 4x4 that has been sized appropriately instead of using 1x. Cut the 3/4" plywood rings. Lay out the rafter slots. Lay a segment of 4x4 on the ring and mark the spacer size. Thickness the 4x4 to 2.75". Cut the 4x4 to one of those segments, and at the appropriate thickness, I think it is 2.75" if I remember correctly. Check the plan.

Easy, huh? lol Go for it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Wanna see my Kaminari plan yurt? Google images:

Bob Rowlands home made yurt.

Mine is the rustic green doored yurt with rafters either side of the door. There are several photos including detail shots. Not that I'm into detail or anything. LOL!!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

I have plans for various size yurts on my website. My yurts are for camping though not living in. Designed to be lightweight and portable rather than permenant.
Making a 10ft yurt from my 12ft plans wouldn't be too difficult. Couple less lath per wall section, holes in the door frame to attach the wall would be different, less poles and less holes in the Tono (ring).
Unless you are really constrained by space to put the yurt, I would go with a 12ft
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for all the information. I'm going through the Kaminari plans and they look like what I was looking for.

I'm hoping to make something semi permanent so if the town comes sniffing around, I can say it's not permanent structure and take it down for a while if needed.

The idea to do this actually came from my 7 year old who independently decided we could really use a yurt. [emoji3]

Last edited by BrianT; 06-26-2017 at 05:14 PM.
BrianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

You'd get argument from officials if you were living in a 12x16 conventionally framed shed attached to a concrete slab. The 12' Kaminari yurt can be taken down in an hour. Good luck with your plans.