Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Insulation

Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #71
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Insulation

I just got off the phone with Yurtzby Design and they are claiming their

insulation

is good to minus 60,..........little sketchy about that.
skippycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #72
Yurt Forum Member

The only

insulation

they list on their website is rFoil... We have the reflective stuff AND the arctic insulation from

Shelter Designs

, and at -40F it was pretty chilly in there, I had to run a kerosene heater along side the wood burner those days. If we just had the foil, I think all the water would have froze.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #73
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverTheTether View Post
The only insulation they list on their website is rFoil... We have the reflective stuff AND the arctic insulation from

Shelter Designs

, and at -40F it was pretty chilly in there, I had to run a kerosene heater along side the wood burner those days. If we just had the foil, I think all the water would have froze.

thats totally what I expected. Thanks for the reply.

This insulation issue is going to be a little tricky

Whats size is your yurt and your wood stove?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #74
Yurt Forum Member

We have a 30 foot yurt, and use a Hearthstone Castleton 8030 (CASTLETON 8030 | Wood Stoves | Hearthstone Stoves). It is rated at up to 45,000 BTU, up to 1500 Square Feet. We could probably use a slightly larger one, but I think we are going to work on some better insulation at some point.

The challenges when it gets cold are several fold. Keeping it warm and

moisture

are something we fought all last winter, and will probably fight every winter.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #75
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverTheTether View Post
We have a 30 foot yurt, and use a Hearthstone Castleton 8030 (CASTLETON 8030 | Wood Stoves | Hearthstone Stoves). It is rated at up to 45,000 BTU, up to 1500 Square Feet. We could probably use a slightly larger one, but I think we are going to work on some better insulation at some point.

The challenges when it gets cold are several fold. Keeping it warm and

moisture

are something we fought all last winter, and will probably fight every winter.

ooo thats a sweet album you have im just flicking through it now
SeverTheTether likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #76
Administrator

I have an old smaller woodstove in my 30 foot Pacific Yurt and it keeps the place pretty warm. I have been here to -20 and was walking around inside with a tshirt and shorts on. I agree with Bob that bigger is better when it comes to wood stoves. The only issue I have with my stove is that I have to load it so often since it doesn't hold a lot of wood.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #77
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have a 20 foot yurt in Maine that has the bubble/reflective insulation. I only go there for weekends and vacations but some day if I retire I could end up spending alot of time there so I want to explore ways of better insulating the yurt.

The bubble insulation seems inadequate, I found this article:

"Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap"
Stay Away from Foil-Faced Bubble Wrap | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Once the temperature gets down to near zero, I tend to not visit the yurt. I can deal with 20 degrees no problem. I only have a small jotul stove plus a kerosene heater that I try not to use too much. It's sort of like a 3.5 season camp and is fine if it is not too cold or I would not stay there for more than 4 days in the winter.

I see that traditionally felt was used for insulation, I am not sure how expensive or easy this is to find ?

GoYurting - Felt Yurt Lining, Yurt Insulation, Camping Yurt

I will have to explore the previous posts here ..
My yurt can get very hot in the summer. The skylight creates a greenhouse effect even though the sun only hits the roof in the afternoon. Would I need insulation that is removed in the summer ? I do not want to have to use air conditioning for cooling, but just fans. I am also concerned about mice getting in insulation. I have to set mice traps every fall.

The insulation should be durable and be able to last whether left on or stored someplace
Larzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #78
Yurt Forum Youngin

I built in Montana so I know a little bit about dealing with the cold. A wood burning stove is a good start, but there are some other things that you can do to increase the heat value of your yurt. One thing to do is build your yurt with layers, kind of like dressing for winter days.

I did the same thing when I bought my yurt. I added an insulation kit to it (I got my

yurt kits

from simpleterra.com/yurt-kits/ for reference).

Before I got my yurt I built a wooden platform for it to be on. I dug footings for stability. Before I put the deck on I insulated between the joists with insulation bunting. You can find it in any builder store like Home Depot or Lowes.

Before I put the canvas over the frame I added Tyvek. Tyvek is used in traditional built homes and creates a barrier for moisture. It’ll also help with keeping heat in as well. It’s about $66 dollars a roll so not to bad and well worth the investment.

In addition to the outer layer, which is usually made from canvas but can be made from other materials, you could also add a layer on the inside of the yurt. Canvas would be another great choice because of how heavy it is and will help keep the heat in.

I added solar panels (mine are the ground, my yurt kit isn’t durable enough to handle the weight on the roof) so that I could have electricity. I added a mini-split to heat the yurt in the winter and AC in the summer. This was added after I’d already established the yurt, so it was a little difficult.

I ran the wiring up through the wood platform so that it’s not in the way. But that really comes down to how much you want to invest in your yurt. We ran lights as well so it was a nice touch of us.
r_alan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #79
Administrator

When you comes to insulation you just have to make sure you are venting moisture. Sure, you can lock the heat in, but if you are also locking in the moisture, be prepared for mold.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #80
Yurt Forum Youngin

We insulated our yurt floor walls and ceiling just like a house. R19 in the walls, R34 in the ceiling, and I can't remember how many Rs in the floor. No mold problems after 6 years. We do get some condensation in subfreezing weather that runs down the roof fabric and into the walls. We keep the

dome

cracked and use a bathroom exhaust fan to minimize humidity in the winter. I believe there are no mold problems because the walls breath very well in our windy climate. Also, our climate is not excessively humid.

We have been able to heat our 30' yurt with a 25K BTU wood cook stove and no auxiliary heater. Our lowest temps are typically around zero degrees F.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado yurts, heating, insulation, moisture, pacific yurts, yurt platform