Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

How To Secure A Yurt Against Heavy Storms

Old 03-12-2023, 08:01 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default How to secure a yurt against heavy storms

Now that my yurt is standing i was wondering what options are there prevent it from fact in heavy winds it wants to take off like a rocket.

I dont like the idea of a rock in my room as i have antique furniture in it.
I love to read/see the options than can be used that will fit in my room/furniture.

I was personally thinking on the securing belts that truckers use for their load and throw it over the yurt and securing it to the wooden base.
I may not be super slick,but it could do the job and not internal items needed inside.

Just a thought though.

jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: How to secure a yurt against heavy storms

I suppose as always, it depends. A small portable yurt will have different solutions than a large full-time yurt.

My 30' Pacific Yurt is stable up to a level 5 thermonuclear attack IMO. Each of the 48 studs holding up the 2X6 rafters, are screwed to the lattice and also bracketed to the floor. That thing isn't going anywhere.

Now for the smaller yurts, people have been known to stake a cable on the inside, attached to the tono, or if not staked, then attached to something heavy like a wood stove.

Last edited by Jafo; 03-12-2023 at 06:52 PM.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I made ell brackets from 3/4"x 1/8th mild steel strap from Home Depot. Drilled two holes in them. The vertical leg of the ell had a hole at the height of the lowest lath bolt. The bottom leg had a hole to install a screw into the deck. Tedious to make and install but it is a bombproof anchor.

Easier is making a bridle out of rope for the roof. Make a loop of rope that's sized to fit the yurts roof about 2/3 up from the wall lattice. It will lay centered on the roof and get anchored to the ground with ropes attached to it at equal intervals. My 16' yurt had five anchor ropes.

There are pics of these details online.

Google images:

Bob Rowlands homemade yurt

Mine is the rustic canvas covered yurt with rafters standing vertically either side of a green door. The are ell details and you can see the bridle.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the reply's i have to see if i can make it work like both of you explained.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:38 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Another alternative to consider.

Mongolian nomads that do not have yurts anchored to a platform hang a weight off the ring. I haven't done this. My guess is suspending a hundred pound bag of whatever off the ring would hold the yurt down quite well unless it is extremely windy

I also anchored my yurt ring to the floor with cable like Jafo mentioned. The cable wasn't in the way because the wood stove was there.

btw I lost my 14' yurt in a blizzard. Wind picked it up and literally tossed it 25 yards. Yurt blew to smithereens. I had eight full days of work building that yurt from scratch. 'Never again'
Old 03-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Bob,
I found the pix and now it made sense to me, thanks for that.
Yes, that is bulletproof indeed.
However i think using pull straps it will do the same as only making 2/2 steel brackets opposite and fixing them on the platform in some way will do the trick too.
Like many things there are more ways to travel to paris as we say overhere.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Yup, many ways. However you proceed, enjoy your work, and your yurt. They're the best. Good luck.

Tags
None