Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt In U.P. Michigan

Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt in U.P. Michigan

Hello all,
We are looking at putting a yurt in Houghton county Michigan and were wondering if anyone has some input? We can't get anything out of the local building department other than "if it meets Michigan building regulations...." which of course don't mention yurts and is hard to decipher. I know there are vacation yurts being rented out in the Keweenaw but we are looking to live year round in a yurt. Any information or experience anyone has would be greatly appreciated! (We are looking to do this in the next five weeks)

I am completely new to the concept of forums so please excuse any mistakes I make in posting

2 dogs and a Yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Yurt in U.P. Michigan

Yurts can be equipped to meet Michigan building regulations. There are Yurts throughout 'lower' Michigan that have been permitted by the State. They are being used for a variety of purposes including permanent residences. I suspect there may be increased snow load requirements for UP Michigan. I know there are Yurts as far North as Traverse City.

Keep in mind you are going to have to put together some type of documentation not only for the Yurt but also for the improvements (utilities, driveway, access points, etc.) for the property.

It really isn't as daunting as it might seem. But you have to tell the state what you are planning to do in writing. Plus some type of documentation from your Yurt manufacturer (typically by a Professional Engineer) that a Yurt equipped in a certain way, proper installed, will meet the certain snow and wind loading.

Hope this helps! Good Luck.

jerry
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Colorado Yurts

can provide engineering packages that might help you with the permitting process.
Daniel Pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the info! My husband ended up getting a building inspector or the phone who promised to help us get one up! So hopefully we can make this happen. I am interested in a Colorado Yurt. Being from Montana I would like to buy local with Shelter Design but I hear such great things about

Colorado yurts

that I can't decide. Will have to soon though!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Administrator

They are both very reputable companies. At least you know there is no bad choice there.
Daniel Pittman likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Most states allow you to live in a small structure while you "build a house" and the house building project can be stretched out over a long period of time. Check on forums with the tiny house group, they are paving the way in that regard.Also the words" temporary"are what they want to hear.
hierony likes this.
Benene Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

In my county in Idaho yurts can only be temporary dwellings for 6 months or less. However, there was a couple that was slowly building a house that lived in their yurts for 3 years or so. I suspect the county really didn't like it, but the conditional use permit was still extended. That could be one route to go if you're on a 3 or 5 year plan :P
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Interesting ideas. We only plan to be in our yurt for two years in Michigan and we don't plan on building... Sounds like I can make it work but will have no electricity! So hello hand wringer laundry, outhouse and saunas! I will be glad to get back to Montana where there aren't any codes outside of city limits... I grew up in Coeur d' Alene I love North Idaho from CDA lake to the Canadian border.

Tags
None