Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Roof Sheathing?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Roof sheathing?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm in the beginning stages of a 24 yurt based off

laurel nest yurts

design that I am building from scratch. I'm curious if anyone has installed a thin sheathing on the rafters like 3/8s plywood. Currently, my plan is to use r19 denim

insulation

and the sheathing would serve to prevent the

insulation

from billowing out between each rafter.

Thanks!
Brandon

brandonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Roof sheathing?

IMO covering a trad yurt roof with plywood would be a waste of time and money. Cutting and securing dozens of pie shaped pieces of plywood wouldn't be any fun at all. How would you secure the ply to the rafters? Secondly the rafter length would be over 8' so then you have yet more cuts to make. Hopefully I've talked you out of this.

If you are concerned abut sagging insulation tack tie wire to the top of the rafters? I really wouldn't be concerned about the insulation sagging until I got it in place. Whichever way, good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 07-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

hi Brandon.
Im also new to this forum, im making a 8m 12 sided solid wall constrution with a shingle roof, my rafters are 6x2 inch and then 5.5mm ply followed by insulation and then waterproof membrane and then battens and finaly the shingles, yes its a lot of work but depends on what you want really , if like me you like to build then go for it..
David vj Doble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

I wish I could find someone that LOVED to build AND get paid for it. I really need someone with a helper or use me (I'm a great helper and learn fast and am a good laborer) to build my platform for my yurt. Also to build the deck that will be about 6 feet off the ground with posts in cement. So first build the small decking, then the platform will be built up on the deck and a small shed about 10 to 20 feet away will house the composting toilet Potty House. It's in Central Arkansas. Does anyone know anyone that's honest, dependable and s good carpenter?
theaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

Brandon,

I insulated my ceiling with roxul insulation and then put plastic over it ~ on the inside. The plan was to put up a parachute to cover the plastic but winter got on and then what I discovered in the spring was that the insulation got wet!
from condensation~ I live in vermont~ so we have pretty cold temps here.
So this winter I am going to put 2x4's on top of the 2x6 to create a 2" air space.
This also means that I need to add another row to my ring to lift the rafters 2", which is fine.
Ultimately I will be removing the fabric and putting up real walls. The issue of condensation with full time living is just too real. 3 season living you dont have to insulate and it can be quite toasty with a wood stove running to keep one warm~ but too much work for a full time employed person living alone in a yurt.

Good luck with your decisions~ let me know what you decide to do
Corina
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the post Corinarose.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None