Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

"Real" Operable Yurt Windows

Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: "Real" operable yurt windows

We do have a full snow kit. What I was thinking is something very similar to the picture, although I was going to build a full header to support the snow leg in the middle of the window just like a stud in a wall of a traditional structure.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Member

You are wise to do include a crippled stud. The official instructions for our window kit include brackets for above and below the window to hold the short stud in place. In this picture the customer elected not to replace the stud. This obviously compromises the snow loading at that point of the frame; but where this 30' Yurt is located (Kentucky), it won't matter. Good Luck
Bob Rowlands likes this.
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #23
Yurt Forum Member

After talking with

Colorado Yurts

they stated that you can't put these window retrofits in a place where a window exists already as the stock vinyl windows are wider than these windows.

I would think if you were making your own you could just purchase a slightly wider window and or make your framing wider. I know you get into issues with a round structure past 36" but I have seen 5' french doors put in before so I know I should be able to figure out how to create a structure for a window to replace a 4' window.

Thoughts?
addicted56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks everyone for all the window suggestions. We have ordered two 24 foot yurts and didn't want their windows. I started to worry about it and then I saw your posts. I can't thank you enough.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
Yurt Forum Member

We actually put one in this fall. Our Yurt had a 48" x 36" window (fabric), so we got a 48" x 36" window off the shelf at the home improvement store. I framed it out with a double header, cut the snow legs, screwed it in place, then fastened the lattice to the frame and then cut the lattice. (This part was the part where there was no going back!) Then I put velcro on the inside of the window nail plate, velcro'd it in place, and then added some screws (through the velco portion of the yurt fabric, to anchor the window into the frame.

Then I added some Cedar trim to make it look nice on the outside, and that's about it! Now we have a fully functional sliding window. I just rolled the fabric cover up outside.

Looks nice, works great, and there isn't a draft to be found. If things go well this winter, we will look at doing this with a couple of the other windows.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi can someone please explain to me in detail how to add glass windows to our yurt ? I get the concept expect the exterior....how do I make it seal in a way that doesn't leak ??

Any info is so very much appreciated. 😁
Pixiemoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
Manufacturer Representative

Have you seen this video? it might answer the questions you have:
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado yurts