Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

First Time Yurt Builder - Many Questions

Old 05-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
ejb
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default First Time Yurt Builder - many questions

Hi all,

First time yurt builder and first post here.

I'm looking at building a 20' yurt this summer and have a ton of questions. I'm going to buy a vinyl cover from two girls farm in NH (I'm in Maine) and I want to make the lattice and rafters with dimensional lumber (ripped down, etc.).

How do I determine how many pieces of lattice I need? I want 6' walls so using 8' lengths of lattice, one piece spans 5.29' laterally at 48.6 degrees. This gives me slightly vertical diamonds.

If someone could give me a ballpark width for a door and help me figure out how many pieces of lattice I need, it would be much appreciated!

Also, how does the number of rafters relate to the number of lattice? Does a rafter connect to each lattice tip?

Also, how do I figure out where to drill holes for where the lattice overlap and get tied together?

In regards to the platform, does a 20' yurt sit on an exactly 20' platform? Does the platform need to be wider so that the lattice has something to sit on? Does the lattice get attached to the platform?

Thanks for the help... many more questions to come!

Elliot

ejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: First Time Yurt Builder - many questions

I can't answer all of these questions, but will answer a couple. The rafters sit in the crotches of the lattice, on the cable, not on tip.

The lattice will sit flush to the edge of the platform, so yes, same size. Some manufacturers use a small metal bracket to attach the lattice to the platform, and I think it is wise to do so.

The wall fabric will need to fit snugly over the side of the platform so water will not run inside.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
ejb
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
I can't answer all of these questions, but will answer a couple. The rafters sit in the crotches of the lattice, on the cable, not on tip.

The lattice will sit flush to the edge of the platform, so yes, same size. Some manufacturers use a small metal bracket to attach the lattice to the platform, and I think it is wise to do so.

The wall fabric will need to fit snugly over the side of the platform so water will not run inside.
Thanks Jafo. That all makes sense. Should I build a "skirt" around the circumference of the platform that extends 1" above the platform and a few inches below? That would prevent the lattice from slipping off the edge and would give the wall fabric something to get strapped to.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, you should. That is how mine is built.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Hi EJB. I have scratch built a 14' and 16' trad style Mongolian yurt from common construction material that can be bought at Depot and Lowe's. I got my basic plan online. I suggest you google:

Clan Yama Kaminari.

Once you've accessed the main page scroll down and click on yurt build. Read through the article. This will givve you a very thorough overview of 'How to build a yurt', and answer all your questions in detail. Have fun.
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Note: There is no plan for a 20' yurt in that article. However, I can help you with scaling up the plan, AFTER you understand how to answer the questions in your first post. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
ejb
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Hi EJB. I have scratch built a 14' and 16' trad style Mongolian yurt from common construction material that can be bought at Depot and Lowe's. I got my basic plan online. I suggest you google:

Clan Yama Kaminari.

Once you've accessed the main page scroll down and click on yurt build. Read through the article. This will givve you a very thorough overview of 'How to build a yurt', and answer all your questions in detail. Have fun.
Those plans are awesome. Thank you

I'm still not clear on how to adjust those to a 20' diameter yurt. I'd like to understand the geometry behind it so I can double check my work as a go and not rely on someone else's plans.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Hey, welcome. Can't really help with the construction math, but I may be able to offer some practical advice for the build itself. Just finishing mine.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
ejb
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht View Post
Hey, welcome. Can't really help with the construction math, but I may be able to offer some practical advice for the build itself. Just finishing mine.
Thanks Knecht.

What size is yours? Tell me a little but more about it
Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

My yurt is 6m diameter, which is about 19,6', built from scratch by me and my wife, with only the roof cover custom made elsewhere. The size is similar as you see, but if I built it again, the khana would be different. A little lower (no more than 2m), with larger gaps between the laths and with roof laths on each crossing.
You can see it all come to life in my thread here:
http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buil....html#post5221
It's 31 pages now, so you may want to go back a little
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None