Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Waterproofing Outer Walls?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Waterproofing outer walls?

Hello everyone

This is my very post so please take this as my 'introduce yourself' greeting too.

We're a 4 person family living in a 6.7m yurt in Southern Catalunya, eastern Spain. We've been living in the yurt for 2 years and the outer canvas has given up the ghost when it comes to being at all waterproof.

The guy who sold it to us recommended that we use clear acrylic paint diluted 1:2 with water. It kind of worked, but not too well.

We've been advised that brick sealant like this:

https://www.waterproofingdirect.com....ard-703w-5l.ir

works really well.

It is the same active ingredient as tent waterproof products like Fabsil (Siloxane), is water based and breathable. It's transparent too.

Does anyone have any experience of using a product like this?

Thanks in advance!
r0b5haw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

I've been on this site for at least five years and con't remember anyone reporting having used that or any other waterproofing product on canvas. I've had a canvas cover on my yurt for 5.5 years now. After two years it quit beading water as yours is starting to do. Now at 5.5 years there's no water repellency at all. Unfortunately my cover is shot for livability. It's a good thing you are trying to get that squared away at this time because based on my experience cover life with canvas is abut three years of good service.

I'll check back on here to see if someone has some advice. My only advice is to buy a massive plastic tarp and use that under your cover. Wish I had better advice. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
I've been on this site for at least five years and con't remember anyone reporting having used that or any other waterproofing product on canvas. I've had a canvas cover on my yurt for 5.5 years now. After two years it quit beading water as yours is starting to do. Now at 5.5 years there's no water repellency at all. Unfortunately my cover is shot for livability. It's a good thing you are trying to get that squared away at this time because based on my experience cover life with canvas is abut three years of good service.

I'll check back on here to see if someone has some advice. My only advice is to buy a massive plastic tarp and use that under your cover. Wish I had better advice. Good luck.
Thanks Bob. I really appreciate your reply.

I discovered that brick sealant has siloxane as its principle ingredient, the same as Fabsil and similar products. And this:

Clear Sealer (Siloxane Sealer) | Chemisol

states that it works on canvas. It's flexible, breathable, clear and UV/heat resistant... so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Maybe I'll be the guinea pig for you all...
hierony likes this.
r0b5haw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

I don't know what kind of expense is involved with those sealants, but I wouldn't buy more than a single gallon for starters. Maybe try it on an untreated yard of new canvas and see the effect? Just a guess.

If I were living in my yurt with my family, and assuming I could afford it, for certain I would have a 15 year cover on it. I love canvas and all, but ime it just won't hold up for five years let alone fifteen. Really, for practical purposes my cover was done at four years. That's why I'd like to know of a long term solution that those reading about cover life can learn from. Thanks for your post.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote