Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Use Rivet To Joint The Lattice Wall Together

Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: use rivet to joint the lattice wall together

Wow, it's surprising that they don't use something more strong! It would seem to depend a lot on wind, snow load, people crawling on top, etc.

The lathe cross at the top is also where mine rests. I'm guessing a lot of the over-engineering in commercial yurts is for liability.

With the 800 lb kevlar shark fishing line, I can do pull ups on the roof ring easily, even when the yurt was still 16' across and 9 1/2" tall. It would be pretty easy to do the theoretical math for various weight situations, especially with computer simulations. It would more fun to do field tests to the breaking point with an increasing strength of rope.
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

My RV is a custom stealth short-wheelbase high-top Sprinter that I'm working on myself. While I don't currently have plans to live in it full time (I have a yurt for that!) that's the design spec. I've taken it into the field with all components operating for an 8-week trip across the country living in it full time. It has 400 watts of solar, a composting toilet, and all the amenities except a shower. Being able to park in a normal parking spot was more important. The trip was very liberating, and I'd probably live that way more often if I didn't have such strong roots in Texas. Everything was strapped down with cargo straps, zip ties, and duct tape for that trip, and a lot of it has fallen apart after I got back. I'm working on a more modular-but-professional load-out now.

Many of the things I learned about living small in my 12' yurt I've applied to the van, and I use as many common major appliances as possible. For that trip, I literally ripped the sink setup out of the yurt and stuffed it in the van on the last day. It uses a 12v windshield washer pump, a step switch, a bug-sprayer head, and two 5 gallon jerry cans for water in and out.
thebitmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

I work with a carpenter that bought a short wheel base diesel Sprinter. Real nice work van the way he tricked it out.

Climber/wingsuiter Steph Davis owns a Sprinter. She details tricking it out for living in on her blog:

Steph Davis High Places

Incredibly she lost both her husbands to wingsuit accidents. Climber/wingsuiter Dean Potter was killed three years ago today jumping from Taft point in Yosemite Valley. RIP Dean.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Member

For my

camping yurts

I use 3/16” diamond braide polypropylene rope. Lowe’s actually now stocks a very nice one in 100ft hanks. Three bright colors, red, blue, green and yellow (four colors).
As my yurts are portable for camping etc, I use a 1” strap as a tension band rather than a cable the strap is rated to 1,500lbs which is more than enough for my yurts. You can get nice bright colors to match the rope.
I hand tie all my lattice walls with the 3/16” rope. It’s actually quicker to tie them than use rivets or bolts, but if I were to make a big yurt to live in, I would bolt them I think.
Tying the lattice is hard on your hands as you need to get the knot really tight. It will loosen which is good, but you need to get it as tight as possible so it’s not too slack when it loosens. You will need a leather glove with the fingers cut off so you have some dexterity.
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote