Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Replacement Parts

Old 04-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Replacement parts

Hi there! I'm new here and considering purchasing a yurt as a permanent residence (in N. Central WA). My question is: hypothetically speaking, what would you do if it came time to order replacement parts for your yurt and the company you purchased your yurt from was no longer in business? Are parts like side and roof covers, or even domes, interchangeable between yurt manufacturers? This issue makes me a little hesitant to commit to buying such an expensive glorified tent.

AspenHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Replacement parts

Most of the pieces can be fabricated by local carpenters. I do believe

Colorado Yurts

and

Pacific Yurts

and

Shelter Designs

also works with SOME custom stuff, but you may want to contact them directly to verify that.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Pacific Yurts

can only provide replacement parts for our products. I think you will find that most components will not be compatible between products made by different companies. Designs may appear to be the same at a glance, but can vary quite a bit.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the replies! So as mentioned by Jafo, does Pacific Yurts do any custom fabric work for a yurt made by another manufacturer?
AspenHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Pacific Yurts

Pacific Yurts can only service our product.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

I have a White mountain yurt, and have noticed that many parts from other Manufactures are in fact identical .. If you have a 24' diameter yurt, than the exterior cladding would be the same? I mean 24' Dia is still 24' Dia regardless of the Manufacturer. The same with the

dome

.. I know factory reps are going to say what they need to say. I believe WMY manufactured the lattice , but the roof and siding came from out west, more than likely there is not to many exterior siding/roofing membrane manufacturers in the world, as there cannot be that much sales volume, and the manufacturing equipment must be pretty expensive,
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Pacific Yurts

I think you will find that different brands can actually have different diameter center rings and different lengths of rafters, even if they utilize the same roof pitch and the same overall diameter. You will also find that the length of lath used to make the lattice wall will vary making the lattice wall heights different. This, along with the attachment method between the top cover and side cover will affect the finished height of the side cover. Also keep in mind that sometimes a company may call a yurt 24' diameter, but they specify that the platform be built slightly larger (or smaller), so it is not exactly 24 feet.

There are many details of construction that can vary that are not obvious at a glance, but could end up costing you lots of headaches (and possibly money) when you are trying to 'Frankenstein' things together.
hierony likes this.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

Colorado Yurt Company does replacement walls and roofs for other manufacturers' yurts. We require accurate measurements, and we don't guarantee fit. In most cases- as long as the roof pitch is the same as ours- we can help.
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm trying to figure out how to get a replacement for the wall canvas for a yurt from a company that went out of business. There aren't any yurt companies here in Northeast Iowa that I know of... any recommendations on what kind of folks to ask?
Hannah B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Administrator

What is the name of the original company? I know

Shelter Designs

and I believe

Colorado Yurts

will do custom work. It would be helpful if they knew the original manufacturer though.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote