Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Our Yurt Needs Help And We're Totally Lost!!!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Unhappy Our yurt needs help and we're totally lost!!!

Hi all, I am brand new to the forums! I checked it out in the past but just finally registered today to see if I can get some advice... We bought a house in North Monterey County on 3.5 acres a few years ago and there was a yurt on the property. I was so excited about it, and my husband and I have come up with tons of ideas on what we could do with it... yoga studio, craft room, guest quarters, airbnb... but, the reality is that it needs some serious help! It is unfinished, but was being lived in before we bought the place. They had it hooked up to an extension cord plugged into the house, and a water heater and gas stove using small propane tanks. There is no flooring and whoever put it up didn't do a great job. The platform is too small so they overlapped the fabric, wall boards aren't evenly cut and have gaps between them, insulated lining is falling down from the ceiling, the

dome

is slipping, ceiling beams are unevenly spaced, there is some water damage.. Basically, it's a mess! We want to get it all fixed up, looking nice, and properly functioning but we don't have the knowledge, skill, time, energy, or strength to do what needs to be done. We're willing to pay someone, but have no idea how much it might cost or where to even begin to look for someone who might be qualified to do it. We do live near the Santa Cruz Mountains, so I'm sure there are people out there, just not sure how to find them.

Sorry this is so long! I think to begin with I would love to have some opinions on what kind of costs we might be looking at, if we can fix what needs fixing or should we take it all down and start over? Do we need a bigger platform? How can we add on a deck? Currently most of the windows are too high to reach so we can't open them without using a ladder to reach them (would love to add real windows that can be opened from the inside). Feel free to check out the pictures in my album "Our yurt" to get an idea what we're up against, and I welcome any and all suggestions! Thank you! Kim

zenyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Our yurt needs help and we're totally lost!!!

Also, I tried to add a profile picture and it's not working.
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Skilled Anglo labor in Mendocino CA that is capable to work on an oddball structure like a yurt is probably $500/day. Possibly well over that. Your best bet might be to demolish the yurt if it is really beat up, and start from scratch. Skilled labor costs farting around doing repairs on an old beat up yurt gonna add up so fast the value of the yurt will be exceeded in short order.

One possibility is to check the flyerhanded out on Sunday at your local Catholic church. Sometimes there are handymen that advertise in there that work well under standard $ rates.

The world is connected online. If you get real creative and start asking friends in the area, online- you might get a response. Look at any local college on a board. There might be labor offerings in there.

Any 'Handyman Connection' type biz is gonna be expensive.

I got no other ideas. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the suggestions. I should mention that we believe the yurt is less than 5 years old, and in good shape for the most part, but just not assembled/put up very well. I can see how the labor costs could add up super quickly and exceed the value of the yurt, so we definitely want to avoid that! If we don't think we can get it fixed up for a reasonable cost, our last option would be to disassemble and sell it.
YurterRT likes this.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Administrator

Do you know the brand of the yurt?
Bob Rowlands and YurterRT like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Frankly if I were you I'd sell it. If you have any interest in 'B@B' you'll be into real money for

insurance

, liability etc. A new yurt would certainly be in order under those circumstances. I guarantee money will flow from your bank account in short order.

I love yurts. But being 'different' they are here in this country. As such that immediately eliminates most guys from working on them from a fast/efficient perspective. I know a lot of carpenters and am one myself. Without question I'm the only one in that group that has any interest in yurts. College age guys that are handy would be your best bet for cheap labor. Working effectively on a building you know nothing about, that's the rub.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Good thinking Jafo. If you can contact the yurt maker, maybe they can assist you with labor in your area, and/or help supplying with materials.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

It's a Colorado Yurt. I have already contacted them regarding the slipping

dome

and they told me "That happens sometimes, and it simply needs to be pushed back into place." But we had our neighbors come by who have two smaller yurts on their property and they're thinking that we might have to take down the ceiling and redo it. I'm wondering if we can just reposition the rafters that are not spaced correctly, and then push the dome back in place without removing the whole ceiling? But I know nothing about carpentry or construction. Our neighbors are willing to help us, they suggest getting together some muscle and setting up a work party and we can all get the dome back where it needs to be. Gutting the inside so we can install flooring will just take muscle and basic carpentry. If we don't need to redo any of the structural part of the yurt, we should be fine getting help to do things like electrical, plumbing, etc.

I absolutely love the yurt. I don't want to sell it. I would love to be able to make some profit from it, either by putting it on airbnb or making it a long-term rental. For the right person, it would be an amazing (short-term) place to live. And rent is so high in our area, people are always looking for alternatives. Plus being close to Santa Cruz, there are a lot of alternative lifestyle types! But, even if we couldn't profit from it, I want to keep it if at all possible. I've used it for yoga, and to do projects, and the grandkids love to go down and play in it when they're here. It's quite the conversation piece when we have people over! I feel like it's a bonus that came with the house when we bought it, it didn't cost us anything. So if we can get it fixed up enough so that it's functional and "cute" inside, I really want to keep it if we can! There are a lot of yurts in our area, so it's just a matter of finding the people that are out there that have the knowledge. That's why I came here to this community! Thank you so much for your replies!
Bob Rowlands and YurterRT like this.

Last edited by zenyurt; 07-12-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Manufacturer Representative

Send photos to the email address you've been corresponding with. We can certainly help. We would let you know if it needs re-pitched or can be fixed as it stands.
Your original email only mentioned the off-kilter dome- which is usually an easy readjustment. But, if the ring is off-level or there are other fundamental problems with how it's pitched- we'd need more information to help you.
Bob Rowlands and zenyurt like this.
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you

Colorado Yurts

for the excellent customer service! Is it possible for you to access the album I posted here, "Our Yurt"? I just took the photos yesterday, and it highlights the issues we're having. If not, I will send them to you. Thanks again!
YurterRT likes this.