Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Cracked Dome Repair?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Cracked dome repair?

I've got a cracked

dome

on my hands, split 1/2 way right down the middle. Wondering if anyone out there has successfully repaired one and any advice to go along with it?

rangeroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Cracked dome repair?

I would imagine there is some sort of glue out there that would maybe patch it back together for strengthen and waterproof, but I can't imagine it would be pretty. Finding out what kind of plastic your

dome

is made of would be helpful. Total drag. I am sorry for your trial. Also interested to hear tips from others. Maybe best to order a new one if possible.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

The dome is made of cellular acrylic. I am not aware of any effective way to fix a cracked dome.
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have a cracked dome of about 8". When I actually got up there I noticed many fine cracks around the base also. The crack expands when dome is open. I got a friend to use a clear silicone to fill in the cracks and brush it onto the dome around the base. Well, it's pouring rain here in CA and it's dripping began this morning. I've got to get up there to see where it's coming from. My yurt is 16', Colorado Yurt and has been delightful for almost 10 years. The price to ship a replacement is very high and I had hoped this silicone would have done the job. In calling the yurt company, they advised the dome and jacket might have shifted, which I wouldn't doubt, but I'm not a yurt expert and will begin researching people who know yurts up here in the Sierra Foothills of Northern Cali. Meanwhile, I'll probably get a white tarp to cover this for the season and address the entire issue in the spring.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

IMO ten years is pretty good service for plastic that is under stress, and constantly exposed to the environment.
Tristan likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Acrylic pieces can be glued together very well (chemical weld)--CA/cyanoacrylate glue/superglue/instant glue does this very well. You can get it in various viscosities--a thin, wicking one would work well for penetrating cracks. Just be sure the joint/crack is clean & mostly closed--apply the glue, hold tight together for 5-60 seconds, and you should be good to go. A light polishing with fine grit sand paper can improve appearances. Parchment or wax paper is good for keeping any spilled glue off other materials/surfaces.

There are two types of acrylic, (cell) cast & extruded. I can't remember which off the top of my head, but one type has more stress frozen in from the manufacturing process--probably not a relevant factor here but it can potentially make it a little more brittle & also conduct electricity in high electric fields more easily.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

White tarp, parachute twine, daughter/granddaughter - fixed for less than $100!!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for your wise counsel. Emergency tarp application which will bide me over for winter, in the spring will try your recommendation. Colorado Yurt people tell me the whole thing might have shifted, causing the leak also. Will now let it all dry out, keep the heat going so it does not get cold & damp and address the major repair in the spring.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Yurt roofs absolutely CAN shift in extreme high wind we are having right now. Trash cans are tumbling down the road as I type this. Fortunately the guys just emptied them about fifteen minutes ago, or I'd be out cleaning up the property, instead of sittin' here drinking coffee. lol. Well...guess I better go out and fetch mine before it hits a neighbors beemer. LOL
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome