Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

32' Yurt Lost Its Roof!

Old 02-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Unhappy 32' yurt lost its roof!

We have a 32' yurt, originally purchased from the Vermont Yurt Works company about fifteen years ago. They were a terrible company who ripped off the purchaser and then went bankrupt. The roof has ripped apart in our latest rainstorm and we need to replace it. The only company I've found that makes 32' yurts is in Canada--we're in California. Any ideas of how we could replace it or of any companies that might make a custom roof? Quickly? We have a pregnant woman living in the yurt and don't want her to get soaked in the next rainstorm. Thanks!

Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: 32' yurt lost its roof!

If the frame is still in decent shape you could probably just purchase a square temporary canvas and tie it over everything.

What parts are you needing to replace--crown ring,

dome

, rafters,

insulation

, and/or canvas? What area of California?
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

We just need to replace the canvas, the rest is still intact.
We're in Western Sonoma County. Thanks for replying!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

If you want things fast & local, go find a place that does boat or rv covers, maybe upholstery. They'll have the outdoor treated canvas on hand and be able to sew it to fit. Of course, they probably won't know off hand how to fit a yurt cover...

There's been a mention or two on this forum of Cover Me Tarps (or the like) that could potentially get you something.

Rainier Yurts

or

Pacific Yurts

would have the materials, equipment, & knowledge to make you a cover. You'd probably have to call them and ask if they'd do a custom order though. They might have other contacts, too.

Hope you can get it done soon!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks! I did try

Pacific Yurts

and Ranier, but they don't do custom sizes. I'll check out boat covers. I found one company in Canada who could do it, although it's a bit complicated to ship it across the border. But quite possible. We're also considering doing a hard-surface cover ourselves with plywood and shingles, but want to make sure the structure can support it.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm the dude that has mentioned 'Cover me tarps'. Yes, you could buy a massive 36' square tarp, and just drape the square tarp over the roof, tuck a fold in it until you have a conic shaped roof that lays tight to the rafters. Then lash it down. That tarp is gonna cost a lot of money though, and still need work to get it to fit your roof correctly.

Another less expensive solution that could be done fast would be to substitute a poly tarp for the canvas one. A whole lot less money there.

To make the new permanent cover, I highly reccomend you'll need to get with a pro company. They will square you away on getting the correct dimensions for a proper fit. Not all 32' roof covers are made to the same dimension. It totally depends on the frafter angle and the ring size, etc.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Swimming pool tarps/covers look to be pretty cheap and come round (~$100 for 30-35 ft diameter), albeit not canvas. Like Bob said, you'll need to know the crown ring diameter, yurt diameter, & rafter angle/height change to get a good fit (basically you're working with a truncated cone surface). Also mind how everything connects...

Have you tried Surly Yurts (New York) or

Colorado Yurts

?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #8
Administrator

Surely Yurts

might do it, also, give

Shelter Designs

a try. I seem to recall they did custom covers too.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Just wanted to let you all know the happy resolution. Steve from

Surely Yurts

came out with his team and sewed a new roof for our 32'yurt! He did a great job and we just had a good rain and no leaks! Jafo vouched for him--I admit I was a bit nervous transferring a bunch of money into a strangers' account, but Steve showed up and did the job. Thanks, Surely Yurts, and you've got my recommendation! And thanks to everyone on the Yurt Forum for helping us solve this problem!
Jafo, Bob Rowlands and mama23 like this.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Administrator

I knew you were in good hands. Steve is a pro. Now if you guys would leave him alone long enough for me to get him to make me a sink cabinet/counter top for MY yurt lol!

Congrats, I am glad you are all fixed up!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shelter designs, surely yurts