Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Yurt With Pod Attached In Windy Rainy Yorkshire

Old 07-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt With Pod Attached In Windy Rainy Yorkshire

Hi everyone,

I’ve just bought a few second hand yurts. One of them has a pod attached - basically a 3m yurt attached to the main, 5m yurt via a wooden door frame. The camvas’ for the main room and smaller room are separate and sort of overlap. The previous owner said that rain didn’t come in where it meets, but that was in Portugal during the summer months mainly. I’m going to be living in it in the Yorkshire hills, where it gets very wet and windy. There is a bit of protection from the wind, but one side is totally exposed. I wondered if anyone here with any experience, or any structural knowledge, could offer their thoughts on whether they think this is viable. A circular yurt allows the wind to move round it, but with the extra pod there will be a trap for the wind and I’m concerned it will just take off!

Thanks in advance!
Ben

Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt With Pod Attached In Windy Rainy Yorkshire

Anchor both yurts to the platform or the ground. Make a rope bridle for the roof of both yurts, and anchor the legs on the bridle to the platform, or to the ground. My bridle had five legs. Mongolian yurts typically have a four leg bridle based on the photos I have seen.

The bridle is a rope assembly that lays on top of the rafters, about mid span, and has ropes that run down to the wall, and then down to anchors on the platform or to anchors on the ground. Those anchor ropes pull the bridle rope down tight on the rafters. That secures the yurt to the ground so it can't be lifted up and tossed in strong wind.

Go on google images to: Bob Rowlands Homemade yurt

Mine is the yurt with the green door. You'll be able to see the bridle.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:01 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt With Pod Attached In Windy Rainy Yorkshire

OK I just looked at the pics. The bridle is easy to see. I also made ell brackets from mild strap steel, and bolted those to the lowest lath cross, and screwed those to the

yurt platform

. There are details of that in the photos. My yurts withstood wind into 80mph range. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote