Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Platform Ideas?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #61
Manufacturer Representative

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts
Default Re: Platform ideas?

Straw bales seem to work very well. The cover on top (and the yurt!) will prevent your bales from rotting, as long as you have a good drainage around. The tires seem to me almost a bit overkill...
Here's one of customer's blog on the subject: https://ouryurtifullife.com/building...bale-platform/
All the best with the build!
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #62
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for your comments. I will drive rebar through planned bales and then tighten around the circumference with 50mm lorry ratchet straps. That should keep it nice and tight, you could park a lorry on there👍
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 04-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #63
Yurt Forum Youngin

Perhaps the tyres are overkill, however I will be happier knowing that the bales are off the ground. Thank you very much for your comments.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #64
Yurt Forum Youngin

We built an 18 inch high base to create an air pocket under the yurt. It stood on concrete blocks, and then we surrounded the entire base of the yurt with hay bales, and then covered the hay bales with tarpaulin so they remained dry all winter, and underneath was warm and dry, with no frost for the six coldest months in upstate New York. The yurt did look a bit like a hovercraft. But it was brilliant. Warm floor. And because we didn't cement the posts down, and surrounded it with hay, it remained a temporary structure so didn't upset the planners. Just a few ideas.
sarah y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 AM   #65
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Sarah for your comments, all the very best
Old 12-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #66
Yurt Forum Addict

Ralex, I'm pretty sure Jafo pulled this dude off here the other day. Jafo mentioned a couple days ago this site is being hit with electronic spam crap.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #67
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Ralex, I'm pretty sure Jafo pulled this dude off here the other day. Jafo mentioned a couple days ago this site is being hit with electronic spam crap.
OK - sorry - I didnīt realize that such an request could be spam - sometimes my eye color is changing too easy to bright blue....
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #68
Yurt Forum Addict

Short rant not yurt related. Electronic spam, ads, sales crap, malware, scams is at an unprecedented level. It is literally everywhere in electronic devices. 95% of what I get on our landline and iphone is worhtless manure.

Fortunately I'm a member of two forums, this and the leatherwall, neither of which are inundated with a landslide of ads while on the forum. In my view one of the reasons people are impatient tense and honked off in general is due to the amount of crap on their phones and computers. Six second ad bytes of BS every thirty seconds is beyond annoying when you are trying to learn something. Rant over.

So thanks Jafo for keeping this place tidy.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture, yurt plans, yurt platform