Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #41
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt Insurance

Have you tried using a local broker?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yes, they felt they searched exhaustively and the Lloyds policy was the only one they could find and they cannot go through Midrox either.
albalmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #43
Administrator

I had to go through two brokers to get

insurance

. You might want to try another one.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #44
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello Yurt lovers,

I've posted before and just wanted to chime in on this thread. I work in

insurance

and am licensed in Alaska, Idaho, Nevada, California, Washington, Oregon, Montana and Arizona. Lloyds of London is a non-admitted carrier and usually charge more for insurance. Non-admitted means that if their company goes belly up you may not get a payout if you suffer a loss. I can insure your Umialik (only in Alaska) and American Modern and Safeco in other states (with underwriter approval). I agree with Albalmuth that $100,000 liability and $5000 Medical is not adequate enough coverage for any property. The only drawbacks I have encountered with insuring yurts is that they need to have two

heating

sources, wood only is not acceptable. I'm still working on a plan to get my yurt up here in Juneau, AK, and will mostly go through Nomad Shelter out of Homer, AK. Wish me luck as I have to convince my 12yo, who is not so enthusiastic about leaving four walls to live in the round. But if anyone needs any advise on insurance needs, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Regardless of whether I sell a policy or not, I am passionate about yurts and making my dream come true. HAPPY YURTING!
Jam102575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #45
Yurt Forum Addict

$5,000 is $15,000 less than a hot shot surgeon makes in a good days work, two to three times a week. Hospitals charge for surgery room at the quarter hour rate of about $2,000. Rooms in the hospital are like 4-5 k a day. Medical supplier costs to doctors don't go up like 5% they go up like 33%. Drug companies raise prices like 500% if they feel like it. Totally insane charges and there just aren't enough zeros in their incomes for these folks to feel satisfied.

These guys don't begin to mess around nickleing and dimeing around when they charge you. Medical costs have absolutely -zero- connection with the reality of what working people make. Everything associated with the medical field is fantastically expensive. $5,000? Wow that is so low it is beyond absurd. A little ekg fitting for heart monitor
plus exams and analysis cost that.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #46
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi everyone!
Was wondering if anyone has had luck insuring their yurt in Maine. Currently trying to insure our 30 ft on grid yurt where we will be living full time starting in July. Thanks in advance for any help!
-Morgan
morgangibney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:13 AM   #47
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello I'm new to the yurt forum and just moved into our 30 foot yurt in Vermont, where we live full time. We are a family of four and are hauling water and off grid. I'm trying to find insurance for the yurt in case of Fire or other emergency/disaster, any leads? It would cost us between $50,000 and $75,000.00 to replace it with all the custom work on the interior, including wood cook stove etc. My previous home owners insurance dropped us when we moved into the yurt.

I'd really appreciate amy leads!

Thanks so much
Wadingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #48
Administrator

I had a hard time finding it until I had my local agent get it for me. I highly recommend you do that same thing. They are the experts at this stuff.

My agent eventually got me a policy underwritten by Midrox, but I believe they only insure in NY.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #49
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the advice! My broker says she can't find anything for me for the yurt

I'm considering finding a new broker. I'm planning to call the New York insurance contact from this forum on Tuesday.

I'm so happy to have found this forum!

Thanks
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Wadingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #50
Yurt Forum Youngin

My and my boyfriend are looking to invest in or in to building a yurt. Before we do, we wanted to see the possibility’s of insurance. We live in Florida and considered putting a wood exterior on the sides of our yurt due to our issues of hurricanes. Wind is a huge issue for us, but a yurt seems super affordable. With wood walls I believe that the chances of getting insurance would be easier. Are there any insurance company’s that cover yurts in Florida?

Last edited by Jafo; 04-04-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Sillysgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, naya, nomad shelter yurts