Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Yurt Insulation For Full Time Living In Uk

Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt Insulation for full time living in Uk

We're looking into getting a Yurt to live in full time, we live in the UK, would bubble wrap help to insulate? Or would this cause damp problems? This year the temps fell to about -17c we shall be having a 13kw log burning stove, is there anyone else on this forum that lives full time in the UK in there Yurt, we shall be going off grid so this will be making life even more fun?
Regards Tracey

Last edited by Jafo; 02-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.
mischiefntrouble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Insulation for full time living in Uk

Tracey,

Welcome to the forum! I think bubble wrap would help and as long as you vent the roof a bit from the center, there shouldn't be

moisture

issues especially if you are burning wood. Radiant wood burning heat has a tendency to dry things out. I always thought log burning stoves were uncommon in the UK?

- Jeff
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Jeff, thank you for replying, the wood burner we're looking at is also going to be the oven, but will have a gas burner for summer to cook, I'm not sure about how common they are here? But for us not an option as we'll be going off grid totally so should be a fun transition? I've also thought off winter duvet's but not sure if this will cause a moister or damp problem? Do you think this should work? At present we're in a caravan, and for the awning we've used loft

insulation

but this would be to heavy for a Yurt, but it makes it really toasty warm in the winter. We'll be living in the Yurt for about the next 5 years so doing all the research we can and what works best, I've looked on the net but can't find the product

Pacific Yurts

use as there

insulation

?
Again thank you and would love to hear off any suggestions and advise
Tracey x x x
mischiefntrouble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Administrator

Not sure if this will be available in the UK, but here is that insulation most yurts like

Pacific Yurts

use:

Amazon.com: Reflectix BP24050 24-Inch-by-50-Foot Bubble Pack Insulation: Home Improvement

As for the wood stove, I guess I just thought that wood was not widely available in the UK, but my knowledge is lacking in that area lol.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischiefntrouble1 View Post
I've looked on the net but can't find the product Pacific Yurts use as there insulation?
You can buy it at B & Q. That's without the white inner lining that Pacific Yurts puts on it however so you'll have to sort something else out to avoid the 'I'm living in a space ship' look.

You'll want to really pay attention to your ventilation however as mould is a real problem in the UK's maritime climate if you seal up the yurt too tightly. The alu-foil does not breathe of course.

We had great problems with this in Scotland and we were in the 'sunny' north-east on the Moray Firth. We finally installed a little air/air heat exchanger that worked a treat and solved the problems as well as kept the heat inside. Not an option if you are off-grid of course.
stephanwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

My boyfriend and I are talking of living off the grid so would really like to know more of your experiences, and if anyone else here in the UK is doing something similar, please share.

Cheers,

YG
Ygerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygerna View Post
My boyfriend and I are talking of living off the grid so would really like to know more of your experiences
I have no experience of off-grid I'm afraid. We used mains electrics for both ventilation and lighting.
stephanwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hiya! I'm a little late in the thread here (I'm a newbie), I live in Wiltshire UK, full time in a yurt. I made 20 ft yurt with my BF 3 years ago, but we separated and I'm now in a temporary 14 ft, but am planning to build my own 18ft over the next couple of months.

Re: Insulation....just a quick thing I have experienced.... for the UK I went for a wool/felt mix which is wonderfully warm and cosy, but it does have a tendency to wick the water through off the canvas above of your canvas tends to hold a lot of water. For our weather I recommend lining in between the insulation and canvas, using Tyvek house wrap. Extra, insulation and good wet weather protection :-D
Vivilala likes this.
Amy Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygerna View Post
My boyfriend and I are talking of living off the grid so would really like to know more of your experiences, and if anyone else here in the UK is doing something similar, please share.

Cheers,

YG

Hi Where abouts are you? I'm in Wiltshire......good to find other yurt dwellers!!
Amy Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi, spotted that you mentioned a stove. I found these, they look yurt-tastic (I'm getting a duo, it's coming aaaall the way to NZ on a ship ).
Cooking Stoves
Just thought I'd share
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts, insulation