Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

White Yurt Cover, Why So Popular?

Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: White yurt cover, why so popular?

I don't know why western manufacturers make white yurts, but I can tell you why from historical perspective of nomads of central Asia.

Yurt was a primary dwelling of nomadic tribes and also represented the wealth of the owner. Richer families used higher quality white wool to make felt. It required more labor and more sheep, since they were sheered in spring. Brown or black felt was mainly used by poor people since most of the white wool they prepared they sold to their wealthier neighbors.
White yurt was a symbol of wealth and used as a dowry for newly weds. However after a few years, when the felt got old, the new family usually replaced it with brown felt. If you are interested, I will write a blog post on this subject on my site.

Kochevnik
kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

ah ok so white is likely to stay cooler in hot sun. i noticed that i keep wanting to reach for a white shirt on a hot/sunny day.
Though in UK, getting too hot is not much of a problem except for 1 or 2 months of the year.

interesting about white being a status symbol in central Asia. could be a global thing?
white is deemed quite 'fancy' in SE England.

cool website. love the uni-yurt model kit.
suddenly realized i havnt even drawn-out any designs for yurt build yet, though i figure/ planned out each step, nothing visual yet.
(i having difficulties with motivation to work on yurt, building a small model might be a nice motivator... having visual / touchable version of the final thing)
kochevnik likes this.
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Dirt and filth, wear and tear on white cloth reveals the details about the individuals that use it. Nobody wears a fine white suit to work, unless they are televangelicals like Benny Hinn. lol Dirty white clothes are sure sign of a worker/laborer and lower caste etc. That might explain one of the reasons white is considered pure, holy, royal, upper class (white collar). As far from the common man as you can get. I think that is part of the connection. That and clean buffed nails on a man. lol
kochevnik likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

No offense to the clean manicured buffed nail man reading the Yurt Forum this evening. You know, thinking bout getting him onea them yurts. lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None