Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Real Walls In A Pacific Yurt?

Old 08-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Real Walls in a Pacific Yurt?

Thank you for that info ! It is super helpful !

Last edited by Pixiemoss; 08-19-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding
Pixiemoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

I am confused though....did you use fabric or drywall ? Both?

Edit...: never mind I understand now what you are saying.

Last edited by Pixiemoss; 08-19-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 08-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo View Post
I don't think vents in the walls would be necessary. At least not in our climate where it is very windy. The wall fabric is loose enough that air moves through the walls quite well. A little too well. We went around and caulked the bottom of the drywall where it meets the floor, because it was too drafty in the winter. We also did some caulking around the windows. As I mentioned before, we have seen some spotty condensation here and there in the wall

insulation

, but none that has spread or moved into the drywall and our air quality seems good. Caveat: we live in a low humidity climate east of the Cascades. Make sure you have an exhaust fan for the kitchen and bathroom and/or crack the

dome

. We still plan to replace our wall fabric with hardy board, but have been delayed in that part of the project because of COVID prices, etc... In the mean time we have a very thorough fire break built around the yurt!
I saw your pics and it looks great ! Do you have a way to check behind there easily for mold ? I would worry it's growing where I can't see. We live next to a large year round creek in a shady area of Oregon . It gets dry in summer but winters are rainy and mild..

With the fireboard...is that rain proof ? I would think the rain would mess it up. We plan to put cedar board and batten siding on. Not very fireproof though.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiemoss View Post
I saw your pics and it looks great ! Do you have a way to check behind there easily for mold ? I would worry it's growing where I can't see. We live next to a large year round creek in a shady area of Oregon . It gets dry in summer but winters are rainy and mild..

With the fireboard...is that rain proof ? I would think the rain would mess it up. We plan to put cedar board and batten siding on. Not very fireproof though.

We do spot inspections by unscrewing the sidewall and poking around. It IS possible that we have missed something. We always run an air purifier regardless because of the usual indoor air pollution issues in any home. So that gives us a safety factor. Is it below freezing much in your area? That's a factor for condensation. We have very cold weather every winter down into the single digits and we do get condensation running down the ceiling between the

insulation

and the top fabric in the morning after things thaw out.. It then runs into the walls where it seems to dry up pretty quickly because the walls are so well ventilated. Sorry I forgot to mention this before!

As for they hardy board, we will install just like on a house with a layer of plywood, then

moisture

barrier and then the siding and it will be water proof if we install it correctly. For the yurt's skirt, we have used galvanized metal to create a barrier to fire.
Pixiemoss likes this.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi!

Here is the pic of what we did.

The board I reacted to is: https://www.lowes.com/pd/47-75-in-x-...-Panel/3014304

It is supposedly formaldehyde free and then you read the fine print and the coating is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4529.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	1237  
Pixiemoss likes this.
shesupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hmmmm is that pic showing for others?

When I previewed the post it showed and now I cant see it!
shesupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
Administrator

Showing for me..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

We added real walls and windows on our 24 foot pacific this summer. It was a bit tricky but totally doable. We first added 11/32 plywood meeting on the snow and wind load kit. Framed the windows and cut out the lattice and plywood. House wrapped the whole yurt and installed windows. We then stained 6 inch shiplap, installed it virtually and framed the windows. Contact me if you want more information or pictures.

Last edited by epink; 11-09-2022 at 12:50 PM.
epink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo View Post
I don't think vents in the walls would be necessary. At least not in our climate where it is very windy. The wall fabric is loose enough that air moves through the walls quite well. A little too well. We went around and caulked the bottom of the drywall where it meets the floor, because it was too drafty in the winter. We also did some caulking around the windows. As I mentioned before, we have seen some spotty condensation here and there in the wall insulation, but none that has spread or moved into the drywall and our air quality seems good. Caveat: we live in a low humidity climate east of the Cascades. Make sure you have an exhaust fan for the kitchen and bathroom and/or crack the

dome

. We still plan to replace our wall fabric with hardy board, but have been delayed in that part of the project because of COVID prices, etc... In the mean time we have a very thorough fire break built around the yurt!
Hi Pablo (and the entire forum), I've looked through your pics of insulated walls and sheetrock finishes in your yurt. Looks great! We've lived in a 35'

Shelter Designs

yurt in Upstate New York (in the Adirondacks) since July '19. Temps in the winter routinely drop into the negatives. We have three different heat sources including our primary, a good woodstove, so there's no problem keeping things warm but I've always been disappointed in two things: insulation and mold around the sill. When they built our yurt, they screwed up the fabric cut on the skirt, making it too short so the insulation doesn't come down below the finished floor height. This creates a cold area that creates mold in the winter. I am frustrated with it and would love to create walls and ceiling assemblies that meet at least the minimum code requirements for insulation. My questions to Pablo (and anyone else who has experience with insulated yurt wall and ceiling assemblies are;

1. Are you happy with the wall assembly? Does is cause any

moisture

buildup or is the dew point further out towards the exterior so no condensation on the interior?

2. What type of assemblies have been used successfully? I've read through posts about hardiboard but thinking something like (from outside to inside) Hardiboard + WRB + 3/8' OSB plywood + Rockwool (or sprayfoam @ 7R/inch x 5") + 3/4" T/G pine. VERY CURIOUS TO HEAR PEOPLE'S THOUGHTS ON THIS!

3. Ceiling: We have 2x12" rafters to achieve the required snow loads. Has anyone used rockwool or sprayfoam or other? It would be great to cover the ceiling with something impervious (smooth/hard) like wood or drywall; something that is able to be cleaned. Has anyone done this?

4. Roofing: I've heard of people contracting with companies that retrofit old grain silos with metal standing seam roofs. I'm contemplating this approach. If possible, the roofing company would calculate all of the angles and custom cut panels so then it's just about installation. I'm concerned that using conventional standing seam panels and cutting them to match the contours of a conical roof would result in a massive amount of waste. Has anyone successfully put a metal roof on a yurt?

Sorry for the long post. To all of you; thanks for posting and looking forward to hearing any and all comments/feedback!
LCBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #20
Administrator

I am in the Adirondacks too. Welcome to the site!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific yurts