Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Putting In A Gas Range/Oven

Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Putting in a Gas Range/Oven

Today we are going to install a gas range/oven. I have two 40 lbs propane tanks that I am going to use (in combo). I got smaller ones because I want to stow them under the yurt and out of the snow. I got a decent deal on them. $175 for the two, and I paid for one to be filled and they filled the other for free.

Will take some pics today!

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Putting in a Gas Range/Oven

Gas range/oven is the perfect choice IMO. I came home for lunch today and made a quick soup on ours. Onions, garlic, scallions, carrots, chilis, a shot of tomato paste and diced tomatoes. When cooked throw into a pot that has a chicken top ramen and the spice packet. Grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Anyone hungry now? lol

Off to work again. Have fun.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Administrator

Well we got it installed but there is a element in the oven that turns on to light the gas. It stays on until the oven comes to temperature. In other words, whenever the oven is on, this electric element is on and it uses a ton of juice. I got the range for nothing, but this isn't going to work. On the lookout for a gas range with a PILOT LIGHT. :P
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

There are also propane stoves made by Unique (I think) that have battery (9volt) ignition systems or the option of electronic ignitions that have a sparker & not a glow bar. Their power consumption is in the milliwatts.
dlhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Administrator

They are pretty pricey IMO. $1000 for a 20" stove?

LP Propane Gas Range UGP-20W - Appliances
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yikes! There's a much cheaper line from this company Ranges, Ovens and Stoves from Peerless Premier Ranges

I think they have units suitable for off grid. I wasn't aware Unique so pricey.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'll be thrifty on my propane stove for morning coffee & summer cooking but I'm splurging big time on my wood stove for the yurt. It'll be primary heat source for enduring harsh Alberta winters, designed for continuous burn with 2 ovens. Over 800 lbs of enamelled cast iron as my lump of thermal mass. I've read good reviews on this model & on the Rayburn Range cooker that the Artisan is merely a rebadged made in USA version of. Check this baby out: Heartland Appliances - Artisan Woodburning Cookstove
Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Jafo, seems to me if you are near a larger city there'd have to be an older pilot light model for sale somewhere. Maybe an appliance repair shop has one, or could give you a lead to a possible source. Or check around online?

FWIW, the apt I live in in Boulder back in 1974 had an old continuous pilot type gas range/oven. As I recall the oven pilot light regularly needed relighting. I remember going to relight it once and *BOOM!* setting off gas trapped in the appliance. If you do end up with an old pilot lit model, I'd definitely check it for proper function. I'd pull it and clean it at the very least.

Good luck with your search.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Administrator

That's a good idea Bob, in fact, I did do just that. There is an old repair shop a couple towns over and he has one he is repairing a line on and said to call back in a week. He is an old guy I have dealt with before and I dunno why I didn't think of him. It is an odd little shop that has been there forever. One reason why it is so odd is that they also sell guns and ammo there. Just weird shopping for appliances and ammo at the same time lol.

I am going to wait and see what he comes up with.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

Hi All,

Something to try, I have a couple of propane stoves that I got from old campers. They were both in good shape when I got them, and I hooked them up and tried them before I bought them.

I have to light them, no piezo electric lighters on them, but kitchen matches still work, or I have used those long barbeque lighters from the hardware store.

Type you you later,

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Jafo likes this.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None