Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Mice

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Mice

I tried the cockroaches fried with garlic, chili and basil. Frankly, I didn't care for them. The are just too goopy-pasty. The inside is the color and texture of flan, but not the taste. Yuck.

The grasshoppers and crickets prepared the same way are pretty tasty, but I have to get the wings and legs off of them, they get caught in my teeth, but the local Asian people happily crunch away on them, legs wings and all.

Our Thai friends used to love to eat wasp larva, as long as we didn't spray the nest with insecticide. They waited until after dark, and used a newspaper torch to clear the adults, and picked the larva out with a toothpick. Tasted like mild and honey they said, but I never got around to trying them. I end up spraying them usually, and after that it doesn't seem like such a good idea.

In Ecuador, we have a white, fat local grub about the size of your little finger, (well, my little finger), and it becomes a black beetle about an inch and a half long during the start of the rainy season. They are supposed to be pretty good, my wife says they are, I have not been there at the right time, but they are growing on our property there. They get about $16 a 500 gram (If I remember, 454 grams is a pound), bag for the beetles, live if possible.

I read somewhere online that Mexico eats the greatest number of insects of any country in the world. Maybe all those worms from the bottom of the mescal bottle?

A little off topic, but it happens sometimes.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

Ain't a chance in hell I'd eat bugs, unless I was starving.
Jafo and ADKbham like this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #13
Administrator

I would try it once (though dunno about the cockroach), but I am also dubious if I would make that a staple of my diet lol..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm anglo. I've always like like ethnic women, even when I was in seventh grade I had a jr high crush on Brenda Coffee, who was black. Still remember her all these decades later very fondly. But skip back forty years to when I was 22, lets say I was seeing a Thai chick that I was totally nuts about, well nuts or not, I wouldn't eat a bug off a plate she or her Mom and Dad slid in front of me, to test me out. I DID once quit eating meat because of a vegan girlfriend, but that didn't last. I'm a meat and potatoes guy. So, I married a Portuguese girl.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None