Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Mice

Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Mice

We have a White mountain Yurt in Middle New Hampshire, and were getting reports regarding a huge mice infestation.. At the time we where working in Singapore, so not much could be done until we returned. Once we got back mid Feb. we immediately went to the yurt for a more in depth inspection. All I could see, is that where the bottom of the material shell is screwed into the side of the platform through grommets every 6 inches, in some places there are spaces where the shell material had bunched up, so maybe this is where the entrances are. The mice than work themselves between the

insulation

interior and the outside shell and have eaten a hole through the

insulation

or even worse, ate a hole through the screen and then into the Yurt? So I wrapped a 1" strap around the Yurt just above the grommets and ratched it tight which compressed those openings.. Also, sprayed peppermint spray and sprinkled crushed chill pepper around the interior base. No mice for the past 2 weeks. So I would like to know if folks have had the same experience, and what their solutions were? as well as how do you replace sections of screen with 1" holes , that would allow a platoon of New Hampshire mosquitoes in this summer?

Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Mice

Cats? Jafo mentioned Jack Russel terrier on another thread. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Hi Ivan,

As a kid growing up in the Appalachian mountains we often had holes in the screens, and all our neighbors did as well.

It was common to cut an oversize piece of screen (these were metal screens) and use some wire from the edge of a piece of screen and "sew" a patch over the hole.

I can't see any reason that wouldn't work with a yurt screen, and using a needle, I think it would be even easier that darning a metal screen.

Give it a try, and good luck avoiding future infestations. Hopefully you avoided those monster sized cockroaches in Singapore.

Rod
rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Singapore? Likely a delicacy with the right spices! lol
Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Hi Ivan,

I also live in NH and have had mice issues in the past. What helped me is plastic or other hard containers* for all food the mice might be attracted to and clearing brush and other stuff away from under and around the outside of the yurt.

Mice like to travel with protective cover. Any animal will take risks if the rewards are worth it. You just have to make the risks greater and the rewards less.

I didn't have to do anything to the actual yurt. Screening is an option as that will stop them, but getting through the canvas is easy. There will always be a canvas spot above the screening for them to chew through and gain entrance. I actually prefer any enterprising mouse to squeeze through the layers at the bottom (easy) and not chew holes in my canvas (not much harder).

*$10 bucks for 12, quart canning jars! Also come in pint, 1/2 gallon, and other sizes. Strong, inert, cheap, see through. Can't beat canning jars for storage. I prefer to also buy the white plastic lids as they don't rust and are easier to use and clean as one piece.
SKM likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Also. A quick, easy, attractive yurt project is attaching shelves between the 2x4 studs (if you have them). Then two eye hooks and a wooden dowel to slip between the eye hooks at the front as a "railing" to keep the canning jars from sliding off the shelves. It takes a bit of time to figure the right spacing. Which size jar are you using. Enough room to get the jar in and off the shelf*. But gets all those jars of rice, beans, nuts, peanut butter, whatever - neat and easy to see and access. Have built several for friends and family in "normal" homes - this storage system is so attractive and convenient. And cheap!

*My shelves are 6.5" high for pint size jars and 10" for quart size
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Here is a photo of the one chew hole.. The idea of threading a screen patch is great? definite try that out.. Also , a photo of shelving , but a little different as I notched the back of the shelves to encompass the snow load studs, But did not have the foresight to size the shelf spaces to specific mason jars, or the dowels? but definitely need to put some of these goodies away in wither tupperware of mason jars . The roaches are okay if you fry them long enough and add just bit of chili peppers :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	996  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mice tunnel of love.JPG.pdf (512.0 KB, 445 views)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

Not sure what happened to the shelf photo, other than the obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yurt shelving or mice playhouse.jpg
Views:	2205
Size:	883.4 KB
ID:	998  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

I actually used only one "section" of 2x4's as the vertical supports So smaller side to side width and only 3.5" wide, enough for one layer of jars. For the railing, insert an eye hook on the front of the vertical 2x4 about 3" up from the bottom of the shelf on each side. Then slide an appropriately sized wooden dowel (which only come in 3'(?) lengths) through the eye hooks and something to keep them in place. I drilled a small hole at the ends and slipped a toothpick through. Just keeps it from knocking out if you bump the "railing". But could also attach a hinged door to the front of you like that look. Would attach a picture, but don't know how.

At some point I want to do that for a floor to ceiling, thin storage area, but put a door on it and paint the hinged door, "wall" color - with angled lattice stain cris-crossing. Might look awful, but sometimes yurt interiors get so busy looking.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

I like it!

Tags
None