Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Laundry?

Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Laundry?

Alright, I can't find anyone addressing what I see as a big issue! How do you do your laundry? Is everyone running to the laundromat? I am looking at moving into a yurt in upper Michigan and it will be cold and snowy most of the year. I'm trying to decide if I do laundry by hand or hook up a wash machine. What are you all doing?

2 dogs and a Yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Default Re: Laundry?

Many times folks use a stacking washer and dryer in order to minimize the floor space needed. They can be installed into a 'closet' in the bathroom area of a yurt to consolidate plumbing and keep it out of site. If your yurt is elevated or on a hillside you may be able to enclose space under the platform for a small 'laundry room' or have a small site-built structure adjacent to the yurt for laundry.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Good to know. I considered both the stacked washer and dryer or a wash house (put in a sauna) but I am curious what people who are trying to minimize electricity use have as an option. I am nervous about switching to a wringer washer....
Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Here is a good article that may be helpful: The Best Washing Machine for Your Off Grid Home. If you end up hand washing you might look into something like this alternative: The Laundry Alternative Wonderwash 5 Lb Load Portable Washer.
Jafo, 2 dogs and a Yurt and SKM like this.

Last edited by Jafo; 04-04-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Administrator

I put that wonderwash on my Amazon wishlist lol. I have to get that for camp!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

There's a thread on Simple Washing Machines.

Standard washing machines are fairly bulky, plus require a certain water pressure and usually hot water. If you're going small & simple, you won't really have those (especially the combo hot-water-pressure). At least warm water is important for getting soap/scum out of hand-washed clothes, especially with hard water (ask me how I know...).

Of late I've been going to the laundromat for the washing part, but I like to line dry. With not too many clothes, you can hang them up inside the yurt to dry (assuming adequate ventilation to prevent condensation & mold). If you have an outside line setup clothes will dry during the winter, just pick a non-rainy/snowy day or two (or have the line in a covered shelter). Air flow/wind will dry them. But have a hot mug for your hands to hold ready afterward hanging up and make sure your clothes aren't water saturated beforehand.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
Administrator

I would think that warming the water in the sun before you do wash would be one way of warmer the water without using any extra energy.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Washing machines and modern detergent are one of lifes great pleasures, and also one of the reasons our clothes are so clean. Not a chance I'd choose to wash clothes in a stream, or tub, or other, if a laundromat was anywhere nearby. Even when I was living out of my mountain tent 39 years ago, I hit the laundromat every few days. I've always worked in a filthy environment, and lemme tell yuh, putting on clean clothes is really nice.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Bob, I completely agree that clean clothes are amazing. I personally am a little germ-phobic about laundromats

Hierony, I agree with the standard washers being bulky. I currently have a small size front load set that I can't imagine trying to pack into a yurt... at the same time, I've not lived long term without a washer. So I love to hear some input from others who are wearing clean clothes while off grid . Thanks for linking the other thread. I didn't find it when looking but I am new to the concept of forums so I will probably make plenty of newbie mistakes!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 dogs and a Yurt View Post
I personally am a little germ-phobic about laundromats
Me too considering the only time I go to one is to wash the blankets from the dog house and crates lol..

Tags
None