Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Confused, Do Most Ppl Just Forego Insurance?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default confused, do most ppl just forego insurance?

I began posting on this forum about three years ago, but we found an alternative solution at that time for our farm/dwelling. Now three years later we are discussing yurts again! I've been trying to do some research on

insurance

(I live in Southwest Fl where hurricanes are a major concern). The information out there is so murky, am I to understand that most folks just forego

insurance

altogether? I see so few people reporting successful attempts to insure a yurt that Im beginning to wonder if its just not a thing.

To give a little more information, my husband and I have been successfully running a pasture-based farm in Sarasota, Fl for a few years. Sarasota however has become increasingly swanky (its NOT the same hometown that we grew up in sadly...) and the costs of land in our area is through the roof. Therefore, we are relocating our farm operation about an hour or so inland, to a more rural county where land costs are better. We are purchasing a 12 acre property with a small wood cabin. The cabin is lovely and well built, with a full kitchen, restroom and laundry room. The cabin is considered the primary residence on the property. However it is TINY: it seems to have been built for a single person (hunter) or retired couple. We are a family of five (soon to be six, as I am expecting a fourth kiddo). We need a way to create additional living/sleeping space for our family, which is why I'm back on the yurt wagon! The yurt would sit next to the cabin and have no need for plumbing, just AC units and electric. (To give some extra detail, our family previously lived in an airstream for 8 months, and while we survived the experience, I am in NO rush to return to living in a small can again with kids.)

Since there is already a primary dwelling on the property, I'm sort of wondering if the yurt could be insured as an outbuilding of some kind.

We discussed building a solid home in a few years down the road, when the farm is making more money, and being able to repurpose the yurt for farm-to-table dinners, or visitors, etc. Unless we just fall in love with living in a yurt!

I love the idea of it, but Im terrified of shelling out the cash only to see it get smashed in a hurricane with no recourse for replacing it. Thank you!

groveladderfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: confused, do most ppl just forego insurance?

Really, the best way would be to talk to your local agents. We eventually ended up using Midrox to insure our yurt. They may or may not insure in your area and only your agent would know that.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I know zilch about insuring yurts. I do know something abouts yurts though having built three. Without any doubt, a yurt will 'NOT' survive a full on hurricane. No ifs ands or buts, a yurt is a tent, make no mistake about it. The best tent ever invented for sure, but a tent it is. The hurricanes passing through FL in general are gaining in intensity. Climatic heat is the energy source of hurricanes, and the atmosphere is warming in general. Thus the expanation for the increase in intensity. No chance I'd build a yurt there. But, that is JMO though.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

fwiw my first yurt was totally destroyed in a heavy snow storm. It wasn't anchored to a platform or the ground and the wind picked it up and pitched it 25 yards. I kid you not.

My next two yurts are anchored to heavy duty platform with ell brackets at each low lath cross, PLUS the traditional bridle over the roof is attached to cables passing through eyelets set in ten concrete piers. I mean anchored, no screwing around. They have withstood wind to probably about 70 mph, possibly 80. But that is well shy of hd hurricane force. I have no doubt at all they would be destroyed in any sustained 100+ mph wind. Just sayin'. Good luck to you and your family.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
fwiw my first yurt was totally destroyed in a heavy snow storm. It wasn't anchored to a platform or the ground and the wind picked it up and pitched it 25 yards. I kid you not.

My next two yurts are anchored to heavy duty platform with ell brackets at each low lath cross, PLUS the traditional bridle over the roof is attached to cables passing through eyelets set in ten concrete piers. I mean anchored, no screwing around. They have withstood wind to probably about 70 mph, possibly 80. But that is well shy of hd hurricane force. I have no doubt at all they would be destroyed in any sustained 100+ mph wind. Just sayin'. Good luck to you and your family.
Hi Bob, do you think a wood yurt would fair any better down here? Wont just about anything be destroyed in a hurricane of 100+ winds? We are in a pretty desperate situation and I need all the advice I can get.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

The cabin on the 12 acre property we are purchasing is 500 sq ft. Im great at living small but we need more space than that (the rental property we are currently moving off of has a 900 sq foot house and we have done just fine, however I am expecting a fourth kiddo so a little more space would be ideal). We lived in an old airstream a few years ago and it was really hard (my husband is super tall, lots of kids, etc.) I was thinking yurt because it gives us the square footage we need.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Sorry, I can't give advice about wood or wood sided yurts since I have no experience with them. My wife and I always lived in small sub 800 sq ft dwellings until I built our home in 1999, so I am familiar with smaller spaces.

I wish I could give sound advice to you about how to proceed. My first thought would be to build a 12x16 shed on a concrete slab with anchor bolts set every 4'. Tie strap every framing connection. Sheath the place in 1/2" plywood. If your husband is handy that could likely be done for 15K. Obviously any real home needs financing for the majority of us. Thank God for our system that allows common men like me to own their own homes.

I doubt you'll find a lender in FL that will finance or insure a yurt. That's merely a guess though. I wish you the best.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

OK here's an 'inside the yurt during high wind' update for you. We are having a major blizzard here in CO as I type this. I was in my yurt just a short time ago starting a fire just to see how the yurt handled the storm conditions. Approximately 60 mph gusts, possibly way above that drove me out for fear of collapse due to wall and roof system deflecting BIG time. 97 mph gust recorded here in CO SPGS within the last half hour according to local TV. A couple of the screws anchoring the yurt to the platform have sheared off. Hope I don't lose the yurt. Can't remember seeing a blizzard like this in decades. If my yurt survives this it will truly be a testament to just how tough a yurt can be. More later.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Administrator

Good luck Bob!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Update at 8PM mountain time. Yurts still up! Truly amazing what that yurt has withstood.

Winds have died down somewhat, supposedly will continue to blow hard into Thursday and abate in the afternoon. Hundreds of people stranded in vehicles on interstate and other highways. Soldiers in heavy vehicles out right now trying to help those stranded. Interstate 25 from Co Spgs to Denver as well as other highways to the east are all shut down. Truly incredible storm I can't remember another like it. Will say more tomorrow. Bob

Tags
insurance