Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Best Yurts For Insulation

Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Best Yurts for Insulation

Hello all, I was very interested in yurts but became deterred by the logistics of getting the yurt approved. I am still in the process, but was hoping for some feedback regarding

insulation

. It seems like

insulation

is an issue- whether it be R-values, condensation, too much wood required, radiant heat flooring, floor insulation, denim insulation, etc. There is so much to take in. Does anyone have a recommendation on any "straight from the manufacturer" insulation packages? I am looking to make the yurt a reality and I feel as though keeping it simple will help facilitate the process.
Thanks!

klhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Manufacturer Representative

Default Re: Best Yurts for Insulation

What kind of yurt are you looking to insulate?

If you want a "from the manufacturer" insulation package most of the different companies will ship pre-fab packages for their yurts. If you have the money this would be the best way to go.

Generally a roll of reflective insulation like prodex 72" will be all you need to DIY. Most local big box home improvement stores will stock 4' rolls of reflectix or astrofoil. Sometimes the 6" wide roll can make installation a lot easier and more effective but you will most likely need to order that in-store or online.

Moisture

issues usually stem from improper ventilation/air-flow. If you put a liner inside the insulation make sure to use a fabric that is flame retardant and resistant to mildew (not cotton, fleece, or denim). Consider adding a circulation fan into the yurt. For those of us with 12V systems a computer cooling fan works well and takes very little energy to run.
Jafo likes this.

Last edited by Surely Yurts - Steve; 08-12-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Surely Yurts - Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Hello,

At

Yurts of America

we use Reflectix double-sided (seven layer) insulation. We buy it by the truck-load.

The wall insulation sections are quilted to the liner – white flame resistant polyester. The roof insulation and has a separate liner made from the same polyester material.

The liner and insulation are water-proof. They shouldn't get wet, but if they do they can be dried out completely. I always recommend a ceiling fan or some other type of fan to keep air circulating in your Yurt.

If you would like some insulation and liner samples email me – [email protected]

jer
jeritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Shelter Designs

Insulation is definitely a huge consideration for a comfortable year round yurt. We have taken yurt insulation a step further by offering our Arctic Insulation package. This is the typical double bubble (7 layer) reflective insulation backed with 1/2" closed cell polyethylene foam. It is a portable, simple, and extremely efficient yurt insulation. When we installed it on our own yurts here in Montana we reduced our energy consumption by 40%, and have had excellent reviews from customers from Alaska to Maine.

With any type of insulation air circulation, as mentioned, is extremely important to reduce condensation in the yurt. An opening

dome

and plenty of windows makes venting the yurt fairly simple. Operable thermal pane glass windows make ventilation extremely easy as you don't have to go outside the yurt to crack your vinyl "fabric" windows, which in the middle of a winter storm is not always an easy task!

Feel free to get in touch with us for free samples or visit our website at Yurt Custom Options to learn more. Good luck!
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Do you guys have any photos of your insulation?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Shelter Designs

Sure thing. Here is a close up of the typical yurt insulation (two layers), with the thin white fabric material being the interior liner (a lightweight polyester) and then the reflective insulation. Next is the arctic insulation (three layers) with the interior liner, reflective layer, and then the 1/2" closed cell polyethylene.

A problem with just the reflective layer is that when your heat source starts to cool off your yurt cools off quickly too. Adding the arctic insulation helps tremendously at trapping the heat in the yurt even when the stove is dying down. It is also much more effective at keeping the yurt cool in direct sunlight than the typical reflective insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2-3.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	652   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-4.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	653  

Last edited by Jafo; 08-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Shelter Designs

Well, when I previewed the posts the pictures of the two insulation types were there in the text, but now they are thumbnails that I can't seem to open? Ideas Jafo?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Administrator

I think this had to do with that video plugin I have installed. Here is the rest of your post:

You can also look at this time lapse of a SD yurt being raised in Scotland that has the arctic package at Pay close attention from 1:08-1:20 to see the layers of insulation being put on.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Administrator

I would imagine that foam has to help a lot. I guess there is no way to retrofit existing foil insulation types with it though huh?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Shelter Designs

Thanks for the help on that post Jafo. It would be possible for us to make foam roof insulation to add to a reflective insulation yurt. The walls would be a bit different as we sew the liner, reflective layer and foam together to make insulation panels that are then hung off of the

tension cable

. To retrofit the walls a person would be looking at basically redoing the whole wall package from scratch. But, heat rises, so the adding foam to the roof would help a "normally" insulated yurt.

Tags
colorado yurts, insulation, pacific yurts, surely yurts, yurts of america