Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Yurt Repair (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-repair-f15/)
-   -   Roll on or paint on roof sealant for many small holes? (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-repair-f15/roll-on-or-paint-on-roof-sealant-for-many-small-holes-471.html)

fishnaked 09-30-2013 09:16 AM

Roll on or paint on roof sealant for many small holes?

I washed my roof cover the other day and strung a line to hang dry it. While walking under this now tent-like structure, I looked up and was shocked at all the sunlight coming through the holes. Small holes. They appear to be cracks from folding. There's probably not 6 square inches that there isn't a hole!

I'm on a budget. This is a rustic backcountry yurt, i.e., it doesn't have to be perfect...though I don't want it to leak like a sieve in a downpour.

Is there a sealant of sorts I can paint on that will allow me to squeeze a bit more life out of this cover?

Jafo 09-30-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Roll on or paint on roof sealant for many small holes?

Does this help?

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt...orage-232.html

fishnaked 09-30-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks, Jafo. There are simply too many holes to patch. It would be far easier to just replace this cover than try to patch. As mentioned though, I am on a budget...so if possible, I would love to be able to paint this thing to seal it...if such a product existed.

djspn 09-30-2013 12:51 PM

I don't have a link, but there have been suggestions posted here about mixing silicone w thinner and painting it on.

Jafo 09-30-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djspn (Post 2291)
I don't have a link, but there have been suggestions posted here about mixing silicone w thinner and painting it on.

http://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buil....html#post1807

Marshall Eppley 09-30-2013 05:07 PM

we had the neighbors dog run all over our canvas and put little toe nail hiles all over it just mixed turpentine with silicon caulk stir it together well and put on with a paint roller when it dry's the smell goes away and it get like a rubber coating on it. works for me anyway

fishnaked 09-30-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Eppley (Post 2295)
we had the neighbors dog run all over our canvas and put little toe nail hiles all over it just mixed turpentine with silicon caulk stir it together well and put on with a paint roller when it dry's the smell goes away and it get like a rubber coating on it. works for me anyway

Thanks, guys!

Marshall, how long ago did you do this and how long has your canvas been out in the elements since?

Jafo 09-30-2013 05:51 PM

I would also like to say that you should try this in a small area first, just to make sure it reacts to your canvas okay.

Pacific Yurts 10-03-2013 10:31 AM

The top cover can be painted with an elastomeric paint. This can be found at your local paint or home improvement store and will seal up the fabric and give you additional life from it. It is essentially a rubberized paint and will expand and contract with the fabric.

fishnaked 10-03-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Yurts (Post 2300)
The top cover can be painted with an elastomeric paint. This can be found at your local paint or home improvement store and will seal up the fabric and give you additional life from it. It is essentially a rubberized paint and will expand and contract with the fabric.

Excellent. Thanks! Is this something that is commonly done...or at least something that has been tried and tested? If so, very roughly, how much additional life could one expect....a year, maybe two?

Pacific Yurts 10-03-2013 01:50 PM

I've had quite a few customers do this to extend the life of the cover so that they can save enough money to purchase a new one. Typically they get at least a couple of extra years out of it.

fishnaked 10-04-2013 10:18 PM

Is there a particular brand or type? I found the following at Home Depot: ProteShield 5-gal. Elastomeric Waterproof Sealer-PSHLD5G at The Home Depot

Pacific Yurts 10-07-2013 10:43 AM

There are lots of different brands that work well. I think Proteshield should work fine.

Brad L. Smmith 10-21-2013 01:34 PM

I saw the Protoshield suggestion from Home Depot, and that sounds good. Is there something cheaper. Also, what about application methods? Roll-on or bug sprayer, which is best? thanks for your hel0pt. My son is living in a yrt in Trinidad California and he had to throw a large tarp over his 20' yurt due to leaks in the first rain of the year and I was thinking of going up there and helping him waterproof his canvas. Last time I saw it when I helped him move in, it seemed in fairly good shape and I imagine there are perhaps many worn or thin spots plus perhaps some tiny holes. Any advice?

Pacific Yurts 10-23-2013 01:49 PM

A Google search for elastomeric paints may reveal a product that is less expensive, but I have not personally checked pricing. If cost is more of a concern than longevity you might want to simply apply a latex paint to seal up any leaks. It won't last as long as an elastomeric coating, but can get you by for a while.

Rolling or spraying are both acceptable application methods, but I would think spraying might result in a little smoother finish.

fishnaked 08-28-2014 12:38 PM

Hello,

I wasn't able to get my yurt up last yr due to time constraints. I'm going for it now though!:)

I have patched all the larger holes in this cover by welding vinyl patches on. All the pin holes mentioned earlier are still there. I called the maker of Proteshield, the sealer I linked to previously and they said, "no" on it being used on vinyl.

Back to square one. Hoping someone can give a specific brand recommendation that is known to work.

Anyone?

Thanks.

fishnaked 10-06-2014 10:04 AM

Well, after much Internet research, many phone calls, testing, and stress, I finally did it.

Several issues. One: There are dozens of different elastomeric paints on the market. Two: Most stuff won't stick to vinyl. Three: Much of the promising looking coatings are only available in 5 gallon buckets which, makes experimenting an expensive proposition.

I was lucky enough to find a paint store willing to open a couple different elastomeric paints to test on my test piece. Acrylic. Stuck great...until it got wet. Peeled right off.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a 100% silicone roof coating called Gaco Roof. It was available in one gallon sizes at $50. I tested it. Seemed to adhere fine so purchased a 5 gallon bucket and rolled it on. Two medium-thick layers on the roof and one thickish layer on the wall.

I did it with the cover off, on a concrete floor in a friends shop. Rolled it up around carpet tubes after it dried and unrolled it on the yurt, carefully.

Of the 6 gallons, I have about 1.25 gallons left. My yurt is 20' dia. I didn't paint the sections of the cover that I had to replace which accounted for ~100 sq feet. If I were doing this again, and painting an entire 20' yurt, I'd probably use 7-8 gallons. This is less than Gaco recommends but I still think it would be plenty thick.

Prior to painting, I scrubbed with hot soapy water, dried, then cleaned it with lacquer thinner (not fun).

Though this stuff has a 50 yr warranty, I have no idea how long it will hold up for my application. Thus far, I'm optimistic. The $325 I'm in to it is less than a new $2000 cover.

Lastly, the Gaco Roof is available in a slew of different colors...as long as you're buying 5 gallons of it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Bccarl 04-07-2015 07:22 AM

Hi there. I just bought a used yurt that could use a good cleaning and maybe a coat of paint. I see you posted in october of 2014. How has the Gaco held up?

thanks your posts have been helpful.

fishnaked 04-07-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bccarl (Post 5094)
Hi there. I just bought a used yurt that could use a good cleaning and maybe a coat of paint. I see you posted in october of 2014. How has the Gaco held up?

thanks your posts have been helpful.

Hi,

I was just there 10 days ago and thus far, it looks to have wintered well. A small amount of the silicone was rubbed off where ropes and bungees holding down a window flap have rubbed against the wall. However, as windy as it is there, I would not expect anything to hold up.

Something that I found interesting is that the brownish stuff (creosote?) that has come out of the chimney and run down the roof, has peeled up the silicone. Looked like a chemical reaction.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

FN

leggymeggyorganic 09-28-2015 04:58 PM

Hey there. I am so thankful for your post!
I am need of help!
We are working with al coal yurt company out of North Carolina.
Me and my husband are in Tennessee about to move onto our land on a land conservancy, and we are building all of our parts for our yurt, currently.
I just bought 10 gallons of gaco, plus a test kit. The kit did not adhere well onto our fabric., (Canvas blend with fire retardant)

Since it is not the typical application, i am not worried about it as long I speak to someone who has done this before. So far, you are my only guy to help.;)
It soaks in well, just doest pass the kit standards.

We are wondering if it would be better to apply the gaco once the yurt is already up, or if there is anything to worry about with painting it beforehand like you have done?
I am scared that if we have to roll it up to store for any amount of time, once painted, that it will stick to itself and tear off. Is this a problem to word about?

Our yurt will be 10 foot off the ground with a base. So painting would definitely be easier now. We are trying to be in there before winter, but also worried about applying it in the cold temps.

Also, any ideas on whereto find cheap 100% wool for insulation? We are looking on allibaba, overseas, but as a last resort. We have reflectix, we just want an additional layer.

Please get back with me asap.
We are in the thick of this process, wondering what move to make next.

Thank you!

Meg Chapman

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnaked (Post 4194)
Well, after much Internet research, many phone calls, testing, and stress, I finally did it.

Several issues. One: There are dozens of different elastomeric paints on the market. Two: Most stuff won't stick to vinyl. Three: Much of the promising looking coatings are only available in 5 gallon buckets which, makes experimenting an expensive proposition.

I was lucky enough to find a paint store willing to open a couple different elastomeric paints to test on my test piece. Acrylic. Stuck great...until it got wet. Peeled right off.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a 100% silicone roof coating called Gaco Roof. It was available in one gallon sizes at $50. I tested it. Seemed to adhere fine so purchased a 5 gallon bucket and rolled it on. Two medium-thick layers on the roof and one thickish layer on the wall.

I did it with the cover off, on a concrete floor in a friends shop. Rolled it up around carpet tubes after it dried and unrolled it on the yurt, carefully.

Of the 6 gallons, I have about 1.25 gallons left. My yurt is 20' dia. I didn't paint the sections of the cover that I had to replace which accounted for ~100 sq feet. If I were doing this again, and painting an entire 20' yurt, I'd probably use 7-8 gallons. This is less than Gaco recommends but I still think it would be plenty thick.

Prior to painting, I scrubbed with hot soapy water, dried, then cleaned it with lacquer thinner (not fun).

Though this stuff has a 50 yr warranty, I have no idea how long it will hold up for my application. Thus far, I'm optimistic. The $325 I'm in to it is less than a new $2000 cover.

Lastly, the Gaco Roof is available in a slew of different colors...as long as you're buying 5 gallons of it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

leggymeggyorganic 09-28-2015 04:59 PM

also, if you advise painting gaco first before assembly, do you have any tips or tricks for me?

This stuff is so expensive, i don't want to mess up.

fishnaked 09-28-2015 05:43 PM

Hi Meg,

I'm not sure how much help I can offer given that my only experience is with Gaco on vinyl which is what my yurt cover is made from. If you could describe the "Test kit" and how it didn't adhere well to your fabric, I might be able to help more. However, what I'm reading thus far makes me quite nervous. I personally would not want to go to the effort with something that doesn't adhere well to your particular fabric. Going to the effort now to test various paints to find one that sticks well will save you a huge amount of time, headaches, and money in the future....and perhaps the not so distant future. I'm sorry to say that as I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear, but....

That said, perhaps the Gaco sticks "well enough" that you can make it work. I'll just need to have you tell me more.

Re painting when the cover is off or on: That is something I debated greatly. I am really, and I mean really glad I did it while off....for a number of reasons. One being that I think it's much easier to get good coverage while the cover is laying flat. Two, the silicone paint will run and drip all over the place making one heck of a mess that would have taken me a lot more elbow grease (time) to clean up...with more nasty chemicals...and I probably wouldn't have been able to get it all. The Gaco is made for near horizontal surfaces, I believe.

I wouldn't worry it sticking to itself. Part of mine did....but it was the part that dried the least amount of time before rolling. Had I let it dry, I'm confident it wouldn't have stuck....but I was using a buddies shop and he needed his work space back.

Re cold temps, that's something else not to worry about with silicone. With other non-silicone elastomeric paints, it is an issue. Not with silicone. It'll dry when it's cold...it just takes longer. I touched up the spots in freezing temps after the cover was on.....where the cover had stuck to itself and peeled the silicone off. That was last fall. Those areas wintered and summered just the same as the rest of the cover did.

If the silicone isn't right for your cover, perhaps you could return the bucket you didn't open....and find a paint that adheres better. Of course, it would almost certainly be a paint that needed to be applied in warmer temps, in which case you'd need to find a heated shop big enough to paint it in...or wait till spring. If the shop wasn't big enough, you can fold part of the cover over on itself, paint the exposed part, let dry, unfold, then paint the other part.

Hope I didn't take too much wind out of your sail as I can certainly sympathize with what you're doing and up against.

Re the wool insulation, I don't know. Would have rather used that myself...but I also used a reflective bubble wrap....two 1/4" layers on the roof.

FN

fishnaked 09-28-2015 05:46 PM

Oh, and the only tip I have for painting is to make sure your cover is as clean as you can get it....and dry. With canvas, you might just scrub it with hot soapy water....or take it to a car wash. With my vinyl cover, I scrubbed with soapy water then cleaned with lacquer thinner.

hierony 09-28-2015 08:16 PM

For wool, it depends on what quality and how processed it is. If you were in E. Washington/N. Idaho, I'd have a contact or two to check with. Basically if you can find a local farm that raises sheep, you can probably get a good deal. Otherwise, find out who does the shearing in your area. When sheep get sheared, the wool on the legs, underbelly and rump (collectively skirting) is often a bit dirty and just discarded. White wool that is discolored or black wool that is sun bleached might be a little cheaper. Wool off the sheep has a lot of lanolin in it, which has to be scoured out--lots of really hot water. There are a very small number (less than 3) of industrial processing facilities for this in the US; one in Texas I think. The wool is shipped in 400 lb bales--it takes a small farm awhile to collect enough for baling & shipping to be economical. Purchasing low-grade/'utility' wool might work for you--but make sure the lanolin won't make things difficult for you. Or get wool that's been scoured but not necessarily picked or carded or spun or whatever. I assume you've checked with the few US places online that sell wool for insulation and they've come out too spendy? Best of luck!

leggymeggyorganic 09-29-2015 11:05 AM

Thanks for the quick response, you all.

As far the test kit that came with it, it has a small can of paint, a small brush, and 3 cotton strips. You take your surface, paint a strip, place the cotton strip down leaving one inch, un-stuck, then paint another layer on top. Let dry for 24 hours, then pull the tab( that you left unstuck) up. If the bottom layer of paint pulls also, with the top layer, you have bad adhesion. Only the top layer is supposed to come up. BUT the normal application for this is a flat solid roof, not just a piece of my yurt fabric. Is soaked in well, just didn't pass the pull test.

Of course they advise you buy the primer which is just as expensive as the paint itself.
The Company we are building our yurt with, knows people that have used this with success. I was just testing the waters to see who else i could find before i did it.

Glad cold temperatures won't really effect. We are trying so hard to get it up before winter, and that was a concern.

I have found yurts on yurt trader for sale, who have used gaco. So it seems to have worked at least enough.

I'll do more research. Thanks for the response.!

Meg

fishnaked 09-29-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leggymeggyorganic (Post 5891)
The Company we are building our yurt with, knows people that have used this with success. I was just testing the waters to see who else i could find before i did it.

I have found yurts on yurt trader for sale, who have used gaco. So it seems to have worked at least enough.

Meg

Hi Meg,

It's good to hear that others have used Gaco with success too. Was the fabric they applied the Gaco on the same as yours?

FN

ktm2racing2001 10-20-2016 09:46 AM

If this is a vinyl cover you can chemically weld other pieces to it. get billboard material

fishnaked 10-20-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm2racing2001 (Post 7211)
If this is a vinyl cover you can chemically weld other pieces to it. get billboard material

Hi - Not sure who your response was to but my vinyl cover was welded together with heat. I actually replaced several sections with new vinyl by welding with a special heat gun and roller. It's a pretty easy method.

Lodgepolelife 02-21-2017 02:18 PM

Just trooped through one high winds and two ARC storms with tons of pinholes in the skin of our expandable and my wife and I decided that we like the star effect the pinholes created in the expandable, but we don't like the water that comes with the effect. We are going to roll on clear flex seal in the interior we have another ARCstorm coming in three days so will let y'all know how it holds up.

Surely Yurts - Steve 02-27-2017 03:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hh-66+vinyl+cement&*

One good way to patch the 18 0z. vinyl coated polyester yurt roofs is by using "HH-66" vinyl cement and paste scraps of "billboard vinyl" or any scraps of any 18 oz. vinyl coated polyester fabric. Ideally you would patch from the inside first .let it set. and then the outside. This is a pretty heavy duty chemical so make sure you are wearing gloves & have good ventilation etc...

If you are good with a vinyl heat welder you can use this to adhere the patch fabrics, this is by far the best way to do it but requires more technical skill and the tools. Should practice on test strips here. If you're not careful you can burn the fabric too much and get warping and fumes...

We have lots of 18 oz. vinyl scraps for free. Just email me at [email protected] and I'll mail you scraps for the cost of shipping have lots of different colors.

-Cheers!

P.S. - When a roof cover is past it's time (which starts with star-bust pinholes), we leave it in place on the yurt and simply put a layer of reflective foil insulation and a new 18 oz. vinyl coated polyester roof over the top of that.

shburr 05-01-2017 01:27 PM

Hi everyone... Hoping someone can give me the benefit of their experience. We bought a used 24' yurt and now, unpacking it, find that the roof is full of pinholes... We're looking at the elastomeric options but all the manufacturers are telling me their product won't adhere to vinyl. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with Gacoroof or another product? And if they can offer some guidance? Thanks!

Bob Rowlands 10-25-2017 11:25 PM

Can't answer your question. Sorry. If you need in that yurt like right now, get a cheap plastic tarp up there, until you get a solution figured out.

Pacific Yurts 10-26-2017 10:05 AM

Try this one: https://duro-last.com/duroshield.

Bob Rowlands 10-26-2017 11:11 AM

Pacific Yurts, thanks for the link.