Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Buying A Yurt (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buying-a-yurt-f1/)
-   -   Buying my first yurt - suggestions welcome (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/buying-a-yurt-f1/buying-my-first-yurt-suggestions-welcome-409.html)

jessicalucie 06-17-2013 04:47 PM

Buying my first yurt - suggestions welcome

Hello, just as the subject line notes, I'm thinking about purchasing a yurt to place in southern West Virginia. I am looking for something comfortable, that feels like a home. However, I don't want to put too much into the total package because it could end up being a vacation home, with my larger purchase being a house in another city.

Anything I can clarify? Any suggestions?

Marshall Eppley 06-17-2013 05:49 PM

Re: Buying my first yurt - suggestions welcome

How much space are you looking to have? We put up a 16ft yurt in Sugar Grove West Virginia,and have plenty room for the wife and i and my son. I built the yurt from scratch myself.

jessicalucie 06-17-2013 07:17 PM

I'd like to have ~500-600 square feet at least. A bedroom that feels separate would be nice (either a loft or walls). Have you had any moisture issues with your yurt? West Virginia AKA Wet Virginia. Thanks!

cmwingfield 06-17-2013 08:04 PM

I'll offer a few suggestions: Given your size requirements, you'll probably want a 28 foot yurt with tall walls. That gives you over the square footage you mentioned and enough space for a loft. As you plan, make sure you intend to insulate the floor as you build it. I didn't and had to go back and put the insulation in by climbing under. Not much fun! Take lots of pictures through every step of construction, because it will help later to remember where you put things like electrical wires, water pipes, etc. Insulate as much as possible, you will be glad you did. I've had no problem with water, and I live in Arkansas which probably rains as much or more than West Virginia. Good luck!

Jafo 06-17-2013 08:23 PM

Agreed, you will probably want to go with a 28-30 foot yurt. I am in the Adirondacks in upstate NY and have zero moisture issues and it has done nothing but rain for the last month lol.

jessicalucie 06-18-2013 05:27 AM

Any suggestions for a particular brand?

cmwingfield 06-18-2013 05:44 AM

I chose Colorado Yurts because it was the closest to me, so the shipping charges were less. They also had some features that I liked, and when I spoke with them on the phone they were helpful to me. The year after I purchased my yurt, I was on a road trip in Colorado and decided to stop in at their company in Montrose, CO. They were welcoming and helpful with some questions I had. I like them. Five years later, I have no complaints.

Jafo 06-18-2013 09:17 AM

I myself have one from Pacific Yurts, but honestly there are many good companies to choose from. You might get a break in pricing at Blue Ridge Yurts because they are closer to you and you may even be able to just go there and pick it up:

Blue Ridge Yurts - Home Page

LDCooper 06-27-2013 12:42 PM

I live in Arkansas which probably rains as much or more than West Virginia. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Really? We're in AR, too. NWA, near MO line. Are you living full time in your yurt and what are you using to heat? We are talking about yurt living, but I figured AR would be too humid to pull it off without the mold problems. Curious.

cmwingfield 06-27-2013 01:26 PM

Hello! Yes, I live year round in my 24' Colorado Yurt. I heat almost exclusively with wood. Wood is a very dry heat source, so it doesn't make condensation like gas or propane. I've had no mold issues. I'm located near Redfield, AR, which is south of Little Rock approx. 20 miles.