Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts

Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/)
-   Yurt Living (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/)
-   -   -7 and cozy here! (https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yurt-living-f2/7-and-cozy-here-261.html)

Jafo 02-09-2013 09:58 PM

-7 and cozy here!

Just a quick update. I snowshed into my yurt camp and am having a great time up here. It is -7 outside and 72 here in the yurt. My small wood stove is working over time, but doing fine. This reflective insulation is pretty good at bouncing the radiant heat as long as it is going. The minute the stove goes cold, so does the camp.

Having fun!

Sapo 02-10-2013 11:07 AM

Insulating the platform

Do you think insulating your platform would extend the warmth after the fire goes out or is the heat escaping through the canvas via conduction? I'm going to be building a yurt in the next few years and have been thinking it will be much easier to insulate while building the platform than retrofitting. But if it doesn't make a difference...

Btw, love this forum.

Jafo 02-10-2013 12:12 PM

Yes, in fact, I am thinking about a project here this summer where I will put a vapor barrier on the floor and then over that, a floating floor to help with the insulation. I may also put some foam boards under the platform. This type of insulation does not hold heat well, but it is very efficient with radiant heat.

Yurting 02-10-2013 02:03 PM

What about a sprayed-in closed cell type? Air-tight, plus insulation.

This is why I want to figure out the platform first ;)

Jafo 02-10-2013 04:49 PM

I wouldn't mind that, but it is a tight space under there. I am not sure if I could apply it in such a tight space? I have never put in foam so I don't know?

Jafo 02-11-2013 01:02 PM

Just got back. We had a bout of freezing rain which made the snowshoe out a little adventurous. Legs are sore, but it is a good kind of sore. Back to reality.

baldy 03-08-2013 09:56 PM

Re: -7 and cozy here!

JaFo, sounds like cold times for you. I am going to super build my platform with double insulation. Concrete risers, 2x8 studs for the frame of the deck, install flooring insulation, plywood, more panel insulation and then a wooden floor. That should hold eveything out, I hope.

wjdzl 03-09-2013 02:02 PM

We've done Roxul R23 stonewool (5.5") in the platform, with 3/8 CDX underneath to keep critters out and support it over a 4' span (we did the 1-1/8 t&g plywood platform), we've done about 75% of the platform so far and it definitely made a difference, but hard to really tell since we don't have an actual heat source yet.

We're doing Roxul R15 stonewool (3.5") in the walls between the studs (snow and wind kit), only done about 8 feet so far and there's an immediate and huge different in sound.

Jenju 03-09-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldy (Post 1350)
JaFo, sounds like cold times for you. I am going to super build my platform with double insulation. Concrete risers, 2x8 studs for the frame of the deck, install flooring insulation, plywood, more panel insulation and then a wooden floor. That should hold eveything out, I hope.

Baldy - I'd love to see photos of your 'layers' once you build this. I'm planning on putting up a yurt in BC, Canada next year and I like my feet toasty.

Jen

Corinarose 03-17-2013 10:47 AM

I live in Vermont and have 2" of foam board for insulation in my floors. In the winter I lay rugs down and the floor is toasty warm. I can comfortably sit on the floor in the winter.
The problem I have had is with mold along the edges of the platform where the liner of the yurt insulation is tucked inside the bender board. I have now moved the liner to the outside of the bender board but have to find a way to tighten that area as it can be a draft source, even with the outer layer tightly screwed down. Moisture collects between the insulation and the outer layer and drips down. In my area in the spring and fall this is especially true.
Do other put their "winter package" insulation on the outside of the bender board?